X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOP 3 PELE ROOKIE CARDS

If you go anywhere in the world, whether it's Argentina, Italy, India, China, New Zealand, etc. and ask the folks there about Wayne Gretzky, Babe Ruth, or Hank Aaron, they will probably not know who these guys are, right? Now say the word "Pele" to them, and they probably will know who you're talking about.

Pele is regarded as the world's greatest soccer player. In 1999, the International Olympic Committee voted him the athlete of the century. In his career, he scored 1281 goals in 1363 games (this includes friendlies & European tour games as well). His list of achievements are endless and could take the whole day for me to type.

1958 is the year when companies began manufacturing Pele cards. This is because he played in his first World Cup that same year in Sweden (and won it). His goals, including a hat-trick against France, made him an overnight star. Now there are about 10 Rookie cards of his that collectors are aware of. However, some of them are more popular than others (and cost a heck lot more as well!) I want to discuss the top 3 Pele Rookie cards in this thread. Before I begin, I want to say that this list was compiled using the following criteria: 1) Rarity 2) Cost 3) Appearance. Over the months, I have also spoken with many Pele collectors as well and got their opinions. And finally, I want to say that these cards have not been ranked against each other. In other words, there is no "first place" and "third place." Let's begin, shall we?

1958-59 Tupinamba Ltda. Colecao Quigol (#109)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1226K1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	4164

This card was manufactured in Brazil. Although PSA labels these cards as being a 58-59 issue, I believe they were released around 59-60. It is smaller than the standard sized cards that we are used to seeing. In addition to that, it is thinner as well. Kids would glue them into albums, so this card is often found with reverse damage. Some can also be found miscut. This is one of my favorite cards of Pele due to the unique design.

1958 Alifabolaget (#635)

Name:	tumblr_inline_nr64p79pG91t0ntzh_540.jpg
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	4166

This card was made in Sweden. Collectors call this his "Alfa rookie." Like the Quigal, this one is also small in size, but I believe it is thicker. It is a tough card to track down (in any grade). A very young-looking Pele is seen here rocking his blue jersey. This one is also another one of my favorites.

1958 Ave Ltda. Colecao Titulares (#86)

Name:	1958%20Titulares%2086%20PSA%202%20Pele%20F.jpg
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	4165

This one was also produced in Brazil and is similar to his Quigol card. PSA, for some strange reason, labels these cards as being hand-cut, but I don't think they were. A lot of collectors like this one, but I don't. The red lips ruined it for me! There are two versions of this card: one with the black star and one without. There is also another Pele card in this set (#50), but it is easier to find and not as popular, in my opinion.

So there you have it! If you want to diversify your collection and go after the best soccer cards out there, then you know what you have to do. Happy collecting!

***I do not own the above cards. If you are the owner and would like me to take any image down, then please let me know. ***
    Last edited by Puck_That; 04-21-2017, 01:48 PM.
Working...
X