X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1954 Pankhurst wrestling Lucky Premium cards

I'm looking for clarification on 1954 Parkie wrestling non-bio backs, if anyone can help.

As most people that collect hockey are aware, Parkurst issued a 75-card set of wrestlers in the summer of 1954 that had a lot in common with the 100-card hockey issue that followed later that year. Unlike the hockey, the wrestling card front had no facsimile autograph, nor even a name listed, only the familiar yellow number on a red square in one of the upper corners. ALL the wrestling cards were issued with the bio back & from what I've read, 62 of the 75 also were issued with 1 of 4 different "Luck Premium" backs that were similar but different than their hockey cousins.

I am working on a master list similar to the ones that exist for the hockey issue. There are 13 different bio-only backs that have been identified. Of the 62 remaining LP backs, I have put my eyes on all but 11 & therefore can not identify to which of the 4 LP types these 11 belong. The FOUR types of LP backs are: 1) Hopalong Cassidy watch offer, 2) Cinderella watch offer, 3) Binocular offer & 4) Camera offer.

The 11 cards where I am searching for a specific LP back are:
    #10-Chief Big Heart,
    #11-Man Mountain Dean Jr.,
    #26-Earl McCready,
    #28-Lu Kim,
    #34-Yvon Robert,
    #38-Larry Moquin,
    #42-George Bollas,
    #46-Johnny Rougeau,(LP=camera)
    #48-Pat Flanagan,(LP=camera)
    #52-Lou Newman &
    #54-Hans Hermann.

Any information , ESPECIALLY images would be much appreciated. With the proper feedback, I can complete the list & WILL POST MY FINDINGS HERE.

Also if anyone has knowledge or images of the 1954 Parkie wrestling wrapper or knows of the existence of an uncut sheet from that issue, I would be most appreciative in learning.

JohnA.
    Last edited by ViewFromStLou; 02-05-2016, 11:52 AM.

have a few that are LP backs that you do not have listed.#14,#17,#20,#22,#29,#39,#43#44,#45,#57,#69, #65,#68,#69,#72

Sorry I miss read your post.I do have a #46,#48 LP back.But my #46 is Johnny Rougeau
    Last edited by camaro69; 02-04-2016, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Hey camaro69 thanks for responding. I have corrected Rougeau's name in my original post ( that's a case where the computer overrides you because it thinks you mean a different word & I missed it in editing).
      Can you let me know which of the 4 LP backs are on the #46 & #48? I've listed the four types in my original post.
      That's the info I'm seeking : which LP type. I have correct info on all but those 11 & will post the finished list here, when complete for anyone that's interested. Thanks
      JohnA

Comment

Both happen to be for the camera offer.Good luck with your list.

Comment

• ViewFromStLou
          ViewFromStLou commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the feedback.

Click image for larger version

Name:	54ParkieWres-PremBks-4dif-.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	2251
        Here are the 4 specific LP backs in question.

The 9 cards that I am still searching for a specific LP back are:

#10-Chief Big Heart,
        #11-Man Mountain Dean Jr.,
        #26-Earl McCready,
        #28-Lu Kim,
        #34-Yvon Robert,
        #38-Larry Moquin,
        #42-George Bollas,
        #52-Lou Newman &
        #54-Hans Hermann.

With the feedback from one generous forum contributor, I was able to eliminate 2 more cards from the list.
        My purpose is to complete a list similar to the master list compiled by collectors of the 1954-55 Pankhurst hockey set of 100 that has 57 cards with alternate LP backs, making a complete master set of 157 cards.
        I know wrestling cards are nowhere near as popular as hockey but surely there is historical interest, as the forerunner of the hockey set. Parkhurst was obviously experimenting with what constituted a successful issue with each new set they put into the marketplace.

I hope that if you have ANY of the above-listed cards with LP backs, you would be kind enough to take a peek at the backs and post the LP back info here.
        I would like to be able to post the complete findings on this forum for any collector that might have interest.

Thanking you in anticipation,
        JohnA.

Comment

Still appealing for your help. Only 3 more to go:

#10-Chief Big Heart,
          #34-Yvon Robert,
          #42-George Bollas,

Again, I'm trying to identify which of the 4 Lucky Premium backs match these 3 cards.

JohnA.
          Last edited by ViewFromStLou; 02-19-2016, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• camaro69
            camaro69 commented
            Editing a comment
            #10-Chief Big Heart ' flash camera.
            #34-Yvon Robert,wrist watch,

Hey camaro69 THANKS again for the additional info.
          By the way which wrist watch on the Yvon Robert - Hoppy or Cinderella?

Comment

• camaro69
            camaro69 commented
            Editing a comment
            No problem helping.I will also watch for the #42.I am building the two sets of Parkhurst wrestling so I eBay search these on a daily basis.Sometimes 10 times a day.

a genuine "hopalong Cassidy' boys wrist watch, pictured on a saddle.

• ViewFromStLou
            ViewFromStLou commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey that's great. I did suspect that & if I had to guess, I'd say the #42 Bollas will also be the Hoppy watch.If that's true, the Camera, the Hoppy watch & the Cinderella watch all have 17LP examples, while the binocular LP has only 11. This makes a total of 62 out of 75 cards. Compare that to the 54/55 Parkie hockey that has 19LP examples of each of 3 varieties, making a total of 57 out of 100. 2 very different sales strategies from the same period.
            I have completed both my Parkie sets (bio only for the 54/55. I decided I didn't need to have a master set that included all the LP backs).
            I have some duplicates from both sets (including 54/55LP backs) if you want to email me with your want list at andrewsjc@aol.com.
            Thanks again for responding - you're the only one who showed any interest.
            JohnA.

Check out the wrestling threads on the PSA board. There a handful of very serious collectors there and a couple of them are very into the Parkhurst set. I will update if I locate their usernames.

Wrestling card king
          Thread name: 1954 Parkhurst WRESTLING: Master set of 137 cards, Huge upgrades
          Last edited by georgebailey2; 03-03-2016, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• ViewFromStLou
            ViewFromStLou commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks George - an interesting thread.
            I am still looking for specific info on just one more cards; #42 Bollas - which of the 4 types of LP card is it?

George Bollas #42 Premium back is the Hopalong Cassidy watch offer. This was the final missing information.
          That means the 62 premium backs consist of 17 each of the Hoppy watch, Cinderella watch and camera offers & only 11 of the Binocular offer. (!7 x 3 = 51 + 11 = 62 total).
          I have the actual breakdown if any other detail nerd is interested & will be glad to provide the info to any interested party.
          My thanks to all who contributed.

Comment

Here is what I have for #10

Comment

Thanks Bobby, I've been looking for an image of that wrapper.

The #10 Hoppy watch premium back contradicts an earlier post from camaro69 who thought it was the flash camera premium back.
              So I thought I had it all worked out but I guess the quest for verification still continues.

Again, thanks to all contributors.

Comment

Originally posted by ViewFromStLou View Post
                Thanks Bobby, I've been looking for an image of that wrapper.

The #10 Hoppy watch premium back contradicts an earlier post from camaro69 who thought it was the flash camera premium back.
                So I thought I had it all worked out but I guess the quest for verification still continues.

Again, thanks to all contributors.
                Just so you know the #10 I have does have a flash camera on the back as the premium.

Comment

Hey camaro69, thanks for the follow-up. That is really a head-scratcher, eh? I have seen a lot of the premium backs but this is the first I've heard of with 2 different premium backs. I have been looking for another example off #10 all this time with no luck. I do appreciate your input.

Comment

Thanks to 2 contributors who have uncovered an anomaly, we now have the first premium back variation that i have been made aware of:

Click image for larger version

Name:	54P#10fb-premWatch-Bobby.jpg
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	5526 Click image for larger version

Name:	54P#10fb-premCam-Winston.jpg
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	5525

Does this mean there are more?

Comment

Working...