Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939-40 and 1940-41 "O Pee Chee"

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why this set is referred to as an O Pee Chee issue? Obviously it does not continue with the numbering of the other 30's sets and looks substantially different.

Also, I read that these cards were issued as "premiums" - can someone tell me what exactly that means?

Thanks

This is the only thing found that would related them to being OPC, although this is baseball, this would be the same for the Hockey and Movie Stars.

When my grandfather passed away, he had a trunk under the stairs and inside were 20 hockey and 20 movie star cards from the 1939-40 issue, pristine. Now some of them were doubles and an odd selection which leads me to believe that they were each in an envelope and you couldn't see inside, so you got who you got. My grandfather was French and a great Montreal Canadiens fan
    and he even tried out for the Toronto Maple Leafs when he moved to Toronto in the 1940's (Conn Smythe told him he didn't speak good enough English and didn't make the cut) so the cards he had were random players, so if you could select from a box, he would have all Montreal and or Toronto players...So this sample makes sense. Nothing is 100% but there is nothing to dispute this, so OPC they will remain.
    t
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1934 salesman sample v94.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1439

Comment

• J60
      J60 commented
      Editing a comment
      "Now some of them were doubles and an odd selection which leads me to believe that they were each in an envelope and you couldn't see inside, so you got who you got."

I'm under the impression there was two box's (or two sides to a box) one that housed the gum and the other side for the photo's (100 sticks and 100 pictures in ***EACH BOX*** as shown) purchase one stick of gum = one photo, same concept to the eventual hockey / movie issue.
      I don't believe these were wrapped ~ unless you could prove otherwise.
      Last edited by J60; 08-22-2015, 01:14 PM.

Originally posted by Bobbyvhc View Post
    This is the only thing found that would related them to being OPC, although this is baseball, this would be the same for the Hockey and Movie Stars.

When my grandfather passed away, he had a trunk under the stairs and inside were 20 hockey and 20 movie star cards from the 1939-40 issue, pristine. Now some of them were doubles and an odd selection which leads me to believe that they were each in an envelope and you couldn't see inside, so you got who you got. My grandfather was French and a great Montreal Canadiens fan
    and he even tried out for the Toronto Maple Leafs when he moved to Toronto in the 1940's (Conn Smythe told him he didn't speak good enough English and didn't make the cut) so the cards he had were random players, so if you could select from a box, he would have all Montreal and or Toronto players...So this sample makes sense. Nothing is 100% but there is nothing to dispute this, so OPC they will remain.
    tAttachment

Very interesting, thank you.

I can't seem to find any baseball cards labeled 1939 O Pee Chee - can you point me to them? Also, aren't the hockey cards 5x7?

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbyvhc View Post
      My grandfather was French and a great Montreal Canadiens fan
      and he even tried out for the Toronto Maple Leafs when he moved to Toronto in the 1940's (Conn Smythe told him he didn't speak good enough English and didn't make the cut)
      And you wonder why the French hate the English lol

Your post is a very interesting one Bobby, but I just have one question for you: weren't the hockey cards 5 x 7 inches? It says on the envelope you posted that the baseball cards measure 6.5 by 8.5 inches - weren't the movie cards, baseball cards and hockey cards all of the same size?

Comment

• J60
        J60 commented
        Editing a comment
        The photo posted is the envelope advertising for the 1934 O-Pee-Chee Baseball (V94), or the 1934 Canadian Butterfinger set.
        The 39-40 OPC hockey//movie star photo set is a entirely different issue, that were indeed 5 x 7
        Last edited by J60; 08-22-2015, 11:09 AM.

Just showing the similarities guys, come on, sometimes there are no answers but it does show OPC doing something SIMILAR, so it is not like they never did bigger cards.

Comment

• Puck_That
        Puck_That commented
        Editing a comment
        True, true

Digging up an old thread.
      We now have an answer. Stay tuned. At the Montreal show, more on Monday.

Comment

Oh man, exciting! Can't wait to hear more!

Comment

http://www.network54.com/Forum/38176...ies+%2B+Cards-

Comment

I acquired a display box today. I can't figure out how to post pictures from my phone. I can email some to anyone that wants to post them for me or I'll do it monday when I get home.

Comment

Thanks for posting that. I didn't know the suits were worn for Apps' wedding. That's a neat tidbit to know.

Comment

Hello, This is the item that Jim Acquired today . He will explain the details.

Name:	Back.jpg
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	2923

Name:	Front.jpg
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	2924

Comment

Thanks Ron .
                  The only known display box from any 30s opc hockey set gentlemen

Comment

Incredible. Absolutely amazing to conclusively put this mystery to bed after all these years. He's too much of a gentleman to say 'I told you so', so I'll just say: nice job nailing this years ago, Bobby! And Jim, that is an amazing acquisition, especially for its historical value for setting the record straight.

Comment

I wonder if this definitive discovery will change the market a little. Like will those who thought they weren't hockey cards, or OPC, now be more interested in them considering the proof? Will there be increased demand as a result? There *should* be. Like when we realized Bill Cook's RCs were 1933 not 1924, shouldn't those 1933 issues become much more valuable considering they are RCs of a true early superstar? The market correction that makes sense to me does not seem to have happened yet. I wonder if it will be the same with the 1939s and 1940s cards.

Comment

wow... that is so cool....

Comment

Working...
                        X