Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder where this Orr will end up. PSA 8 Crown Life

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...searchin=title
    Last edited by Damir; 07-26-2019, 03:51 PM.

Already at $3100, looks like is 22 days left......no guess here.

Comment

Why does the image look so bright? Is this a scanner issue or what?

<<This large black-and-white team issued photo (5 x 7 inches) is far rarer than Orr’s 1966-1967 Topps card, and is extremely condition sensitive due to its large size. Picturing Orr in a portrait pose, the card is crisp and clean, with a flawless image and four razor-sharp corners.>>

So first REA calls it a photo and then they start calling it a card. The first one is correct (it's a photo!)

<<Given the recent $204,000 sale of Orr's 1966-1967 Topps USA Test rookie card in MINT 9 condition, this card undoubtedly presents a superb value as it dates from the year prior.>>

Oh, pleaseee! Don't even go there, man! Why mention the Topps Test Orr? That's a rookie card issued by a major card manufacturer. What you guys have is a minor league team-issued photo. They are two completely different things! Oh, and they are starting to call it a card again!

<<This is an outstanding ultra high-grade example of Bobby Orr from this distinctive and very scarce 1960s issue, which predates his 1966-1967 Topps card and is thus considered by many to be his "true rookie" card. >>

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Considered by MANY to be his TRUE ROOKIE CARD? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! These guys have no clue what they are talking about!
      Last edited by Puck_That; 07-27-2019, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• harpervalley7
        harpervalley7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well said puck that , I collect Orr but this is all a sham ,joke , sure it is rare but there are lots of minor league photos out there of everybody. Nothing but a sales pitch!

• Bobbyvhc
        Bobbyvhc commented
        Editing a comment
        It is so white because they adjusted the exposure settings to bright, when you scan with a white background, you generally get this effect but there is black around the picture, so it should have come up as a creamy white, not super bright white, plus it is the only card with a white background so it makes it look even brighter. I see people do this on ebay with their settings which misrepresnts the picture quality completely.

I wouldn't call this a sham. There is more to collecting than just a player's base card. Many of us love the "oddball" stuff and this could easily fall under that category. Have you seen what his Bazooka and General Mills cards go for? The future could be bad or possibly incredible for this item. Yes, REA could have done a much better job in their description, but I would rather have this item than a 1923 Bert Corbeau who is a nobody in Hockey history but his card is worth $20K in the worst condition.

Comment

• harpervalley7
        harpervalley7 commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t think you have a clue what I’m talking about!!!

I guess I don't. Please explain.

Comment

Originally posted by Damir View Post
        There is more to collecting than just a player's base card.
        I agree with you.

Originally posted by Damir View Post
        Many of us love the "oddball" stuff and this could easily fall under that category. Have you seen what his Bazooka and General Mills cards go for?
        Alright, now hang on here. The Bazooka, Lipton Soup, General Mills, Royal Desserts, etc. are all cards. They are also food issues as well. Again, the Orr is a minor league team-issued photo and we just can't put them all into the same category. Sure, a lot of people still say "this is mainstream and this is an oddball item," but that's wrong.

I'm not trying to knock this item. If you are a die-hard Orr fan and want it, then go ahead and bid. My problem is with REA's description. It's desperate, it's false, and inconsistent.

Comment

That Orr picture obviously wants to "identify" as a card. Just ask REA and who are we to judge in today's #$&'*% up society.

Comment

Photo, print, card, this is a "Postcard" type/style of issue, so a card but not along the mainstream classificiation due to the size, (but 1939-40 & 40-41 OPC are cards at 5 x 7) it is not a photo or a print.

These were sponsored by the Radio Station CKLB & Crown Life, typically, these companies pay for the production, get free advertising and the team benefits from the sales. The arena food/souvenir booths would most likely sell them and are generally found in sets. There is no evidence that these were inserted one at a time into programs which has been rumoured, out of all the programs I have seen come to auction or have purchased, none has ever had a card listed with it.

I haven't seen any advertisement for these cards in any of the programs and I am not sure that if you randomly mailed in requesting pictures, would the Generals send you a full set at their expense, I think not. There might be souvenir price list out there for ordering but those are hard to find, so at this point, I think they were sold in the arena for the most part.
            Last edited by Bobbyvhc; 07-31-2019, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X