X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exodus
    started a topic How do you enjoy your cards ?

How do you enjoy your cards ?

Are you a NM-MT or better kind of guy ? Are you centering first ? Are you an ex or ex-mt guy ? Each of us enjoys them differently. Do you
    like them mostly slabbed, or raw ?

• smallpaul2002
    replied
    I'm a near mint/near mint sort of guy...As a printer with 30 years in the trade, I truly appreciate a card printed in the fashion it was intended to be printed. So any card that contains a miscut, centering issue, or a registration problem will never find a home in my collection.

Leave a comment:

• hart2004
    replied
    Pre-War: almost anything goes. Creases, rounded corners, no problem. But I don't like writing/ink or holes. But a high end 1 and up is fine by me.

1951-1989: Ex and up, no hairlines.

Centering is less of an issue to me than to many others, especially when it is big bottom border. The card came out of the pack that way.

Leave a comment:

• Anish
    replied
    Registration and centering and preferably no major creases (like through a player’s face). Other than that, well loved.

Leave a comment:

• exodus
    replied
    Originally posted by Billyberu View Post
    Also IMO collectors and especially grading companies put way too much emphasis on centering. I agree miscut cards do not have appeal but anything inside 85/15 is acceptable.
    As a centering freak (and before the OPC vault sheets from the Mastronet auction got cut), I was always on the hunt for centered cards because OPC did a great job making so many off centered cards during certain years. Some people like "rare" cards, and when you are a 50/50 centering guy, then the hunt can take years because of the way OPC did such a poor (or great !) job back in the day.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    commented on 's reply
    Or maybe people just buy what they like. Never assume that because people dont blow their load on cards that they cant afford them.

• Puck_That
    replied
    I think this thread should be titled "WHAT CAN YOU AFFORD?" Like most people in the hobby, I like to go after rookies of HOFers. I wish I could be a "NM-MT or better kind of guy," but where am I going to get that kind of cash from? Right now I would say I am a VG to VG-EX kind of guy, but with the way prices keep climbing, I'm eventually going to end up being a POOR guy.

Leave a comment:

• Billyberu
    replied
    Also IMO collectors and especially grading companies put way too much emphasis on centering. I agree miscut cards do not have appeal but anything inside 85/15 is acceptable.

Leave a comment:

• Shutt_22
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Baran View Post
    I’m in the minority. I prefer low grade, well loved, affordable cards. Rarity is what excites me, not condition. To each their own I guess.

You're not alone Andy. I am pretty much the same, although I prefer VGEX & up, Raw and min. 85/15 centering. Rarity is also my thing, and if I can only get it in a lower grade, that doesn't deter me. I am also like camaro69, in that I don't much care for altered cards that have been taped, glued or written on... although I have nothing against Checklist cards that have been checked off neatly... to me these are cards that saw normal use, and were once used/enjoyed by a collector interested in completing their set...just like me...except I now use an excel file for that!

Leave a comment:

• camaro69
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Baran View Post
    I’m in the minority. I prefer low grade, well loved, affordable cards. Rarity is what excites me, not condition. To each their own I guess.
    I am like you.I love building sets and as long as I can read the backs(or fronts) I am good.
    I figure that if a card left the factory off center than why should I worry about that.
    I really do not like tape or glue or writing on cards. But soft corners and creasing does not mean a whole lot to me.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Baran
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Billyberu
    replied
    NM or better, raw, 75/25 or better centering.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X