#220 PSA 9__POP 4_Cert.# 42489662
    #221 PSA 9__POP 5_Cert.# 42489663
    #222 PSA 9__POP 4_Cert.# 42489664
    #223 PSA 10_POP 1_Cert.# 42489665
    #225 PSA 9__POP 3_Cert.# 42489666
    #227 PSA 9__POP 3_Cert.# 42489669
    #228 PSA 10_POP 1_Cert.# 42489667
    #229 PSA 9__POP 5_Cert.# 42489668

These cards have been extremely hard to find because their were originally misscutted.
    What are the odds to have this kind of submission?
    Anybody here still believe PSA does not grade sheetcut cards?
    How about these 1951 Parkhurst slightly shorter than the norm?

http://vintagehockeyforum.com/forum/...on-of-trimming

No way to tell without pics but there was quite a bit of vending found of the second series

Comment

These cards are not from vending otherwise their POP would be in the hundreds not in the low single digit.
      This only shows PSA grade sheetcut cards. The pics can be seen on EBay or the PSA website with a little research.
      All these cards are amazingly well centered.

Comment

Probably sheet cut or trimmed. Countless examples of PSA and other TPG’s grading trimmed cards.

Comment

I'm getting a flashback to 10-12 years ago when numerous cards from 1969-70 O-Pee-Chee hockey appeared on the scene. Cards were difficult to get before then. Especially the 1st series. 2nd series had a higher grade and mostly came from vending cases. Some of the cuts were interesting....
          Last edited by schoby; 05-15-2019, 11:54 PM. Reason: bolded two words

Comment

Can anyone post a link or pics of the cards?

Comment

They are most certainly sheet cut. Vending produced off centered cards for those issues. There was no way they would ever score 9's and 10's. Only 8's at best. When mastronet auctioned off all the 1969 opc sheets, that's when the POP's went up for the low and high series. I believe Mastronet sold 12 1969 sheets from the OPC vault. On a side note, trimming and sheet cutting is happening all over the place. I don't need to tell anyone here that. Cards are being sold in PSA holders that are 1/16th of an inch below grade. Just fine for PSA standards, but it has changed many cards from an unaltered 7 to an
              altered 9. But to answer your original question, yes, those cards came from sheets. The vending cards of those issues were always way off centered and could only produce an 8 at best, if that.

Comment

Here's one that's from a sheet. It's one from your list. I'm sure the others will show up in the future. Keep a look out if you're into this kind of thing.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-O-Pee-...AAAOSwwiVc3bdL

Comment

• GillesRen
                  GillesRen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  All these certificate numbers have been recently sold or are being presently sold.
                  I agree with all your points.

But why then, PSA claim they don't grade sheetcut cards?
                  With a submission like this one, a red flag should have been raised, huh?

The PSA question has a two fold answer. #1, their graders are not experienced enough in vintage hockey to understand the trends with grading OPC from 1968 through 1975. Also, PSA has their guidelines for cards. One of them is not whether it has a rough cut or a straight edge cut. It's kind of like when you drive down the highway and the speed limit is 65 mph and everyone is doing 75 and cops are sitting there and letting everyone pass. PSA has their "laws", but they are not strictly enforced, or they don't have the knowledge or time to enforce them as well as they should.

Here is the Frank Mahovlich AS with a straight edge cut that NEVER came this way from vending. I looked through thousands upon thousands of vending cards from this year. I also once owned a beautiful PSA 9 Mahovlich AS with a rough cut from a wax pack. This Mahovlich from vending could never score better than a PSA 8 because of it's centering. So this one up for auction came from a recently cut sheet also. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-O-Pee-...YAAOSw5Ilc3bc8

Comment

• schoby
                  schoby commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As a collector of this set, I 100% agree going through those Mastronet times . Thanks for conformation.

Also forgot to add this, and many people here already know this. it is well known for a fact that the very first 1968 O-Pee-Chee #2 Bobby Orr that obtained a PSA 9 came from a sheet soon after Mastronet auctioned off the sheets from the OPC vault. That mastronet auction and the skills of the sheet cutters ruined the purists view of the vintage market, but then again, a few people got really rich, and a few people who are into this got some very "nice cards" for their sets.

Comment

Graders get paid to grade cards. People pay to get their opinion. The more cards they grade the more money they earn. If they grade high, people should be happy and be more willing to send more cards to grade. On the other hand, if they grade high a little bit of everything they will lose their credibility, then scare business away. They're playing with a double edged sword. Unless they try to make a short term money grab and run away after, but I doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                  X