Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• villager
    started a topic Topps vs OPC press runs

Topps vs OPC press runs

What are the OPC vs Topps press runs? Anyone knows a approximate ratio between them or about how many copies from each cards they printed during the good years?

• toppcat
    replied
    Originally posted by Bobbyvhc View Post
    Here is something from 1961-62 Topps: If the insert stamps had 1000 per lb, and 35.5 lb per 1000 boxes and there are 2 stamps per pack and 24 packs per box, where does that leave you.
    Stumped, it leaves me stumped LOL

Leave a comment:

• GillesRen
    commented on 's reply
    It leaves me to question what was the weight of the bubble gum.

• Bobbyvhc
    replied
    Here is something from 1961-62 Topps: If the insert stamps had 1000 per lb, and 35.5 lb per 1000 boxes and there are 2 stamps per pack and 24 packs per box, where does that leave you.

Who said these problems in high school wouldn't help you later in life, haha.
    Last edited by Bobbyvhc; 04-07-2019, 08:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• toppcat
    replied
    For years (say mid 60's through mid 70's), Topps basically said in any interview or PR piece that they printed 250 Million baseball cards annually. I suspect that may have been correct in the 60's but the figure probably increased a little into the 70's. I doubt they did 10% of that for hockey in the US. If you take 250 Million and divide by say 660, you get about 378,000 of each baseball card annually, excluding DP's and the like. That's 37,800 per hockey card in the US roughly using 10% as a guide but there's only one or two series each year vs say six for baseball. So multiply 378,800 by 3 and you get 113,400 of each US hockey card, which seems more reasonable.

I had no problem finding hockey cards on Long Island in the early 70's and I'm sure they were distributed heavily in the Original 6 geographies. So what's the OPC to US print ratio? That might help a little with the math.
    Last edited by toppcat; 04-06-2019, 08:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GillesRen
    replied
    Anyone has ever thought of interviewing some of the executives at O-Pee-Chee to try to know the print run numbers?
    How many cardboard sheets was bought in a year, how many sheets were eventually printed and cut?
    The printing press has a counter on it, huh?
    It would be interesting to know the evolution of these numbers from the 1930's until the late 80's.

Leave a comment:

• Bobbyvhc
    replied
    1984 produced, as it would seem from this newspaper ad, 25% more cards but 25% more from what number.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7188.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	775.9 KB
ID:	7188

Leave a comment:

• hart2004
    replied
    Varied greatly by year (84-85 vs 85-86) it *seems* to me.

Leave a comment:

• wardzaharia
    replied
    Well Topps baseball sets are bigger than opc and have higher print runs hockey Topps sets are smaller but don’t know about qty

Leave a comment:

• Bobbyvhc
    replied
    Good question, I've got............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .nothing

Leave a comment:

Working...
X