X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad State of Ebay

I have a bunch of 30s cards listed on Ebay and 3 bidders have now asked if the cards are real or reprints. I've always had the odd bidder ask here and there but seems to be accelerating. Cant be a good sign for Ebay when high feedback bidders have to ask. Way too many homemade reprints on the site.

Originally posted by Jim View Post
    Way too many homemade reprints on the site.
    I agree and I blame the big card companies for this, especially Topps. If this company told eBay to stop allowing people to put these reprints on their site, then it would eliminate a large part of the problem since majority of these reprints are Topps cards. I have reached out to Topps in the past about this problem and they don't care.

Comment

Maybe just write in your description: THESE ARE REAL AND NOT REPRINTS. Saves work and time in answering stupid questions.

Comment

• strohman
        strohman commented
        Editing a comment
        You are assuming that people actually read the descriptions. Many sellers today don't add any real description, and bidders don't often bother to read the description that is present.

Originally posted by Puck_That View Post

I agree and I blame the big card companies for this, especially Topps. If this company told eBay to stop allowing people to put these reprints on their site, then it would eliminate a large part of the problem since majority of these reprints are Topps cards. I have reached out to Topps in the past about this problem and they don't care.
      What about bringing it to the attention of the NHL.These reprint people are making money with unauthorized NHL material.

Comment

Originally posted by eschneidman View Post
        Maybe just write in your description: THESE ARE REAL AND NOT REPRINTS. Saves work and time in answering stupid questions.

People do say this, but they word it differently, like "READ CAREFULLY", or "ATTIC FIND", or "FROM MY GRANDFATHER".

Comment

Originally posted by jaylay View Post

What about bringing it to the attention of the NHL.These reprint people are making money with unauthorized NHL material.

Good idea. A lot of action needs to be taken here. I don't think these companies will do anything unless they get pressured by like 2,000 people. It can be done though, but it would require a lot of work.

Comment

If the NHL hasn’t been able to curb unlicensed and fake jerseys, I doubt they’ll do anything about a few reprint cards.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonmorrison View Post
              If the NHL hasn’t been able to curb unlicensed and fake jerseys, I doubt they’ll do anything about a few reprint cards.

Fake jerseys are made and sold all over the world, and it's tough to stop something like that. With these fake cards, I would say that 99 percent of them are being sold through one site - eBay. It would be a lot easier for the NHL to stop this problem because they would only have to go after one website.

Comment

Ebay doesn't give a **** about counterfeit merchandise as long they get their cut. Their lawyers and PR write that it is against the rules, but they seem to act only if they get a cease and desist letter or a police order. Things are worst since Chinese sellers took all over the site. When things go wrong on eBay (i.e.dispute, bad buyer, billing errors...), have you ever tried to speak or write with someone (excluding the so-called CS somewhere in Asia)? When one needs to dispute a transaction, they said that they review everything, but it is all done by computer scripts. What else to expect from them?

Comment

Funny thing is that EBAY is losing touch with their customers. I don't even shop or sell on EBAY anymore, they force you to use their crappy global shipping program and their biggest scam of all Paypal that takes 5 days to process a simple transaction. Funny thing is my account is debited and PAID within seconds...The whole site is a complete joke, and I think they are slowly losing good quality clients. EBAY has screwed people for too long, and now they are paying for it..If an alternative buyer/seller site ever shows up with the customer in mind, they will pull the rug from right under EBAY. Probstein and PWCC shipping rates are a joke..

Comment

Jim, I bought a really nice O'keafe coaster from you years ago after getting your email address from this forum. I didn't realize it at the time, but I had bought a few things from you via ebay auctions prior to that. Your ebay username and item description doesn't reflect the kind of collector that you are. The cards you buy typically have great eye appeal even if in lower technical grades. You also grade your cards very honestly and critically when a lot of ebayers do not. There are a few auctions of yours that I'm "watching", but I don't have much cash right now so probably won't pull the trigger. There is a lot of junk reproduction BS out there and if I didn't know about you I would be skeptical too. You should consider branding your ebay auctions as PWCC does for the seller recognition. I think you were originally commenting on the state of ebay and I couldn't agree more.

Now that I've talked you up and given you all this great free advice; I'm always looking for an OPC Shore RC at a very buyer friendly price...

Comment

Originally posted by smallpaul2002 View Post
                      Probstein and PWCC shipping rates are a joke..
                      I agree that Ebay is a joke and everyone should sign out of their crappy GSP program, but they have nothing to do with Probstein and PWCC abusive shipping rates. Sellers choose whatever they want to charge for shipping. As long buyers will buy from them and accept to pay that, the only risk they have is not getting a five star feedback for shipping charges. Otherwise, Ebay could impose a shipping high cap, but it would probably end by requiring everyone to use their GSP mess instead.

It is not new that if a real alternative to Ebay appears, Ebay will bite the dust. Here and there, some people create specialized (niche) replacement sites, but they never get the worldwide exposure Ebay got. The closest best alternative that impacted Ebay is Amazon third party market and their lack of inventory update and high shipping costs for low value items don't make the grade.

Comment

Working...
                      X