X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Has a Ceiling

And that includes the Gordie Howe rookie. Yesterday REA sold a nice-looking PSA 8 example for only $39,000 USD. This is pretty bad considering that Goldin sold one for a little over $50,000 USD back in Dec of 2017. I know a couple of guys who own high-end examples and they just think this card is going to go up, up and up. I point to them what happened with vintage baseball cards. They hit the ceiling and back down they went.

Hit the ceiling or just not the right timing? Maybe a month before or two weeks later and things would be different. Maybe a potential buyer would get a tax return and would have placed a higher bid. IHMO, I would rather buy that card instead of all those McDavid and Matthews cards in the same price range. The Howe card was sold on the low side, but it will always keep its value. I can't understand why the McDavid and Matthews cards can worth so much when tons of them are manufactured, especially when Gretzky or Lemieux RC are next to nothing compared to those kids.

Comment

I didn't like it for an 8. Just my opinion. I'm not saying it was overgraded, but it wasn't what I consider a high end 8. Just my two cents.

Comment

• gomaz
        gomaz commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. Not all 8's are the same. The crew around here should know this by now.

• Puck_That
        Puck_That commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Gomaz, nice to see you posting

Originally posted by villager View Post
      I would rather buy that card instead of all those McDavid and Matthews cards in the same price range. The Howe card was sold on the low side, but it will always keep its value. I can't understand why the McDavid and Matthews cards can worth so much when tons of them are manufactured, especially when Gretzky or Lemieux RC are next to nothing compared to those kids.
      These are "high-risk, high-reward" cards. If none of them get a ring, then the prices will drop big-time. However, what will happen if McDavid joins Boston? How many will he win then? If you have the money lying around and you are a big risk-taker, then go for it. The guys who bought high-grade Crosby rookies, especially during the time he was going through his concussion problems, must be laughing now.

I think this PSA 8 Howe that REA just sold looks great for the grade. It has good registration, corners, and the back looks clean. Yes, the image is a little high, but I don't think there were people who decided not to bid because of this reason.

Comment

I believe when that one sold for 50k there hadn’t been one listed in a while. Since then there have been a couple.

Just taking one bidder out of the equation can make a dramatic difference on a card like that. 50k may be the ceiling, but I would wait a few years before believing that. It could be 100K in 10 years or just up a bit in accordance with inflation.

Those baseball sales were due to market manipulation and I don’t think that has any role with this card.

Comment

• Puck_That
          Puck_That commented
          Editing a comment
          Good post.
      Working...
      X