X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970-71 Esso Power Players

Does anyone know approximately the month they may have starting giving them away via the gas stations ?? TIA

The photo's used had to have been taken in Oct-Nov of 1970 because the Leafs are shown wearing their new jersey's that they only started wearing that season. Darryl Sittler's card shows him playing against a Buffalo Saber player. The earliest game the Leafs played against the Sabers that season was on Nov.11 1970. I doubt that they would have been ready by Dec. So my guess is Jan.-Feb. of 1971 is when they would have started giving them away.

Comment

The debate we're having is .... some folks are claiming Doug Favell was the first goalie in the NHL to paint his mask (orange @ haloween 1970). BUT, there's a photo of Jim Rutherford in the Power Player book with corresponding stamp with a painted red mask, so the debate is was really Doug Favell the first ??

Comment

• Goddie
        Goddie commented
        Editing a comment
        What about Gerry Cheevers? I believe he started to paint stitches on his mask in the late 60's.

• J60
        J60 commented
        Editing a comment
        The early Cheevers stitches were hand drawn with a marker, so they wouldn't count as paint. If someone could come up with a Jimmy Rutherford photo with the Hamilton Red Wings, or Fort Worth Wings wearing that red mask ...... that would pretty much solve the debate.

I believe that Rutherford was already painting his red while playing junior hockey. Why not write to Rutherford and ask him when he started wearing the red mask while playing in the NHL. Didn't Doug Favell start wearing his painted mask in October,1971 ,not 1970?

Comment

Getting Rutherford to respond to my lame inquiry would be a miracle, futhermore getting Jimmy to remember something 50 years ago would be "walking on water" There's pictures of Favell with his Pumpkin mask in action with Beliveau/Fergie etc. so even Favell was misspoke as 1970 or 1971 in interviews when asked about it.. But it was definitely 1970

Comment

One thing is for sure, I lived that moment in time when I was 7 years old going on to 8 in January of 71 and I clearly remember snow being outside when I took trips to the Esso gas station. So for sure in the winter of 70-71. The good old days when my dad and I went to grab these Esso Power players with his brand new 1970 442 Olds. My God Father got me the Hard Cover Esso Book for X-Mas of 1970 so these are good clues.

Comment

• DanTheVintageMan
            DanTheVintageMan commented
            Editing a comment
            4 L34 396 350 HP and 1 LS6 454 450 HP, currently have a triple Gold SS 396 350 HP with 4 speed, nicest one I have ever owned with 40K original miles. I now restore these cars one at a time for other people at concourse Day 1 level getting many awards along the way.

• huysmans
            huysmans commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, that's impressive.
            Do you still own a '70 currently?

• DanTheVintageMan
            DanTheVintageMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Like I said comment before "currently have a triple Gold SS 396 350 HP with 4 speed"

Gary "Suitecase" Smith .1970-71....likely worn before Halloween too.

Comment

Jim Rutherford 1970-71....entire season

Comment

Ad from Feb, 1971

Comment

This ad Jan. 71

Comment

Sports photographers were recruited by Allan Eagleson in all the league's cities to take 18 action photos of players' from each team in early November of 1970. They printed the stamps in early December. Esso signed a 1 year contract with the NHLPA for the rights to the players and team images in late December. They started to issue the stamps right after that., so probably early Jan 1971.

Comment

I remember hanging out with my brother at the local Esso at Shelbourne and Hillside in Victoria after school, asking for- and usually getting- the packs from random motorists.
                    Ahhhh, the good old days.

Comment

Originally posted by 'NuckFan View Post
                      I remember hanging out with my brother at the local Esso at Shelbourne and Hillside in Victoria after school, asking for- and usually getting- the packs from random motorists.
                      Ahhhh, the good old days.
                      Yes, I also miss the good old days when the gas stations were giving stuff with gas fillups and gas prices were under 50¢/liter. At the price gas costs today, they should at least bring that type of promo back.

Comment

Not long ago I emailed Dennis Miles of Ryerson U. He’s taken a lot of NHL photos and he said they used some of his photos for Power Players but doesn’t recall the details. I’d love to know more details as to how they coordinated all of the photos and got them to print and distributed as quickly as they did. For example Larry Keenan was traded to Buffalo on Nov 4 1970 and shows up for the Sabres. Similar for Pete Stemkowski (Oct 31 1970) to Rangers. This promotion may have been the only decent thing Eagleson ever did.

Comment

Bob Baun was traded back to the Leafs for Brit Selby Nov 13 1970 and they both show up on their new teams.

Comment

Working...
                          X