X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On this day...82 Years ago...

On March 8, Morenz began complaining of chest pains, which doctors attributed to a heart attack. Mary Morenz and Cecil Hart were called to the hospital; around 11:30 pm, Morenz tried to get out of bed to use the washroom but collapsed on the floor and died from a coronary embolism caused by blood clots from his damaged leg, minutes before his wife and coach arrived. He was 34.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4072147189_b87eb58040_b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	739.5 KB
ID:	7118

RIP Howie and play some great old hockey with the Rocket up there…

Comment

If he had suffered the same injury today, he would not have died in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck_That View Post
        modern medicine has come a long way I guess over the past 82 years

Comment

Originally posted by Puck_That View Post
          You are 100% correct

Comment

He would have probably been back on the ice within a year.
            They would have caught these blood clots early and then prevented them from causing any damage.

Comment

The possibility still exists even today. I know of someone who broke an ankle, died within a couple weeks under similar circumstances. That person was even a medic...

Comment

Its interesting that you say that Rick - Daniel Di Giacomo from country group Rivertown Saints out of Ottawa/Belleville died in late February from a blood clot in his leg. There was no forewarning from what I understand, it just traveled up his leg to his heart and that was it. Sad for anyone to experience that, much less their loved ones since it is so sudden.

Comment

Dying from a blood clot, especially at a young age, is very rare. I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to Daniel, but again, it's very rare. If you get a blood clot in your leg, then there will be plenty of warning signs before it seriously harms you. There will be pain and your leg will start to swell up.

I still think Morenz could have survived this injury with the technology we have today. Look at the crazy hockey injuries that have taken place in the past 20 - 30 years. A couple of players had their throats slashed with skate blades, heads have been smashed in, broken ribs, legs, arms, etc. None of these guys died. JUST CHILL, PEOPLE!!!

Comment

Don’t think I’ve ever heard the suggestion to chill in all caps before, my friend

Comment

• GillesRen
                      GillesRen commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Neither did I. lol!

Instead of telling people to "just chill"... take the 30 seconds required to go online and actually look up the facts.
                    According to the National Blood Clot Alliance website, dying from a blood clot is ANYTHING but "rare". They state that in the US alone, "100,000 to 300,000 deaths from blood clots occur each year, which is greater than the total number of people who lose their lives each year to AIDS, breast cancer and motor vehicle crashes combined"
                    They also mention that, "On average, one person dies every six minutes from a blood clot"
                    With all due respect, your posts were painful to read, maybe you should spend some time educating yourself, or just stick to talking about cards.
                    Last edited by huysmans; 03-15-2019, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• Puck_That
                      Puck_That commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Go away, man. Seriously, just go away ...

• huysmans
                      huysmans commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice to see you can admit when you're wrong.
                      And the only one that should go away is you. Post when you have something intelligent and factual to say.
                  Working...
                  X