Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hart2004
    started a topic ACA

ACA

Been wondering about ACA grading for some months. I believe the owner's name is Daniel Rock. Anybody have experience with ACA graded cards - either purchasing already ACA graded cards or sending card in to be graded? How would you assess ACA grading relative to PSA, BVG, SGC, and KSA? Thanks.

• villager
    replied
    Originally posted by Puck_That View Post
    There was some dealer in Quebec whose website I was looking at a few years back. He had lots of ACA graded cards and they appeared to be 1 - 2 grades higher than what PSA would give out. I pointed this out to him and he became very angry.
    Which dealer? Pure curiosity. PM me, if you prefer.

Leave a comment:

• Puck_That
    replied
    Originally posted by HowieMorenz7 View Post
    I haven't purchased nor would I consider ACA any better than KSA.
    I don't think ACA is any better than KSA either.

Once I was looking to bid on PROBSTEIN's Jean Beliveau rookie on eBay. I think it was either ACA 8 or 9. I phoned him up and asked if there was anything wrong with the card and his response was "no." After that, I showed it to a few dealer buddies of mine and they pointed out that it was trimmed. If the card was that good, then it would have been in a PSA holder (and I should have known that!)

There was some dealer in Quebec whose website I was looking at a few years back. He had lots of ACA graded cards and they appeared to be 1 - 2 grades higher than what PSA would give out. I pointed this out to him and he became very angry.

And the last thing I want to discuss is that Bobby Orr rookie that Danny linked above. I want you guys to look at the edge under his name - does that look like a normal cut to you? It doesn't to me.

Leave a comment:

• 'NuckFan
    commented on 's reply
    In no way am I giving serious credibility to ACA- however, regarding the accumulated subs to the final grade- like Beckett, unless the 3 highest subs are 8 or better they do not carry enough weight to lift the final grade more than .5 above the lowest grade- in this case a final grade of 6.5. The 7.5 and 7 hold the final grade down. At least, that is my understanding.
    Last edited by 'NuckFan; 03-08-2019, 01:56 AM.

• HowieMorenz7
    commented on 's reply
    re ACA Orr on ebay---If you add up the qualifiers and average them it comes to 7.375--but the card is graded 6.5---something may be weighted differently but it makes no sense to me --all BS

• Stampsfan
    replied
    Originally posted by DanTheVintageMan View Post
    If that centering is a "9", I'd hate to see what a "5" is.

Leave a comment:

• villager
    replied
    "because fibers have been taken from the collectible".

If my reading is correct, they're seriously saying that they voluntarily destroyed a tiny part of the card to grade it?

Leave a comment:

• DanTheVintageMan
    replied
    Nice ACA Orr Rc
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/143156697682

Leave a comment:

• hart2004
    replied
    Great links. Cobb's story is...interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    Not sure if anyone remembers this story. The baseball forum had a good time with it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rTXVlHs2rIU

https://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/it...ntry-1.1632102

Leave a comment:

• HowieMorenz7
    commented on 's reply
    I understand. I haven't purchased nor would I consider ACA any better than KSA--just someone trying to make a buck. I think you are a better judge of grade then either of those 2

• hart2004
    replied
    I'm not looking to use ACA's services - I haven't had 10 cards graded by all companies combined in my whole life! I'm not going to buy ACA graded cards any time soon either. I just want to know as much about the hobby as I can. Learning about ACA's rep is something I'm interested in. Now if a select few from this forum started a vintage grading company with consistent standards, that *would* be a great addition to the hobby!

Leave a comment:

• HowieMorenz7
    replied
    Hi Hart,

What would you want to use ACA for grading or buy an ACA graded card. I would stick with raw or the standard PSA or start a new company called HSA.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X