X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90s Hockey Inserts

What is it with hockey and not being able to capitalize on an iconic insert set?

You see sets from other sports where oftentimes commons sell in the hundreds of dollars, and yet hockey inserts from the 1990s are essentially worthless.

Is it the fact that hockey was essentially an afterthought from the manufacturers? One might think that Wayne Gretzky's popularity would at least contribute to some interest in various sets, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Why is it that Basketball has some incredible inserts like Precious Metal Gems, Noyz Boyz, Dunk 'n Go Nuts, Jambalaya and hockey has essentially nothing. It's crazy how Skybox was the producer of so may incredible basketball sets, but I don't think that they ever produced anything of value when it comes to hockey.

We are not fooled by the insert card gimmick. I have always seen it as a fad and nothing else.

Comment

• HowieMorenz7
      HowieMorenz7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Fabricated made up garbage

Maybe you're ahead of the curve. 90's inserts could be something that could get hot as people in their 30's and 40's start hitting the nostalgia years. I only collected "in the moment" until 1995 or so and their weren't too many inserts.

I was chasing the Alexandre Daigle's of the world at that time. If you look at the #1 overall hockey picks from 1990 thru 1999 it was one disappointment after another other than Lindros and Joe Thornton/Lecavalier, Lindros was polarizing and I don't know too many people that collect Jumbo Joe/Vinny.

I would think the 2000's with Crosby's, Ovechkin, Kane, Tavares, Stamkos would probably have a lot of room to grow.

Comment

Just look at it this way. Compare the amount of hockey collectors to the other sports. I don't think that there are enough collectors to take it to that level. If they aren't even a fraction of what the other sports are selling for, they probably never will sell for what you would want them to sell for. We just don't have the numbers the other sports have. I will stick to the tried and proven method of vintage and pre war rookies, at least for investments sake.

Comment

I see on Ebay that tough 90s inserts sell for big bucks, especially in basketball but it doesn't seem to be taking off in hockey.
        I think any part of the hobby that takes off is a good thing.
        I have a few friends that are not hard core collectors but do ask me to buy them a card or two every year. They are my age but the cards they ask for are big rookie cards of the big current stars. I've suggested in the past that they can get some nice vintage rookies for a bit more but they just don't care. The response is always along the lines of "I don't remember Gordie Howe"

Comment

I don't know if you consider this an insert on man made scarcity but in the football world Brady's auto rookie is ending tonight and is already at an insane level

In the realm of tangible assets, sports cards hold an allure unique among investors. Nothing touches our culture more than professional sports and as the world gets continually busier, emotionally we seem increasingly drawn to our cultural centers. | eBay!

Comment

• HowieMorenz7
            HowieMorenz7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Not bad--only $300,000 USD so far---count me in

Pretty much all 90's Hockey Inserts are worthless, whatever Beckett says. I've got some huge hits at that time (Lindros stuff, Gretzky and Orr Score) and I am lucky if they still worth 1/10 of the original BV today. Moreover, I see Soviet special cards in O-Pee-Chee (1 per pack) sold as any other commons or the full set under 5 on Ebay. Be A Player Autos were the big deal by the end of the decade when the common auto was $15+ and I see them now at $1.00-2.00. It is one of the main reasons why I prefer the older stuff, the one that keep its value up year after year.

Comment

Not sure if this counts as a modern day insert but looks like this just became 6th most expensive hockey card sold according to VCP unless a modern card has topped it

http://www.vintagecardprices.com/fre...time_range=all

Comment

Originally posted by fhennessy15 View Post
              Not sure if this counts as a modern day insert but looks like this just became 6th most expensive hockey card sold according to VCP unless a modern card has topped it

http://www.vintagecardprices.com/fre...time_range=all

This one is numbered out of /99 and it's a base card. It's not an insert.

The one that is numbered out of /87 (Gold Rainbow) is an insert.

I actually like the Gold Rainbow more than the base card. It's also like $40,000 USD less.

Comment

There are a bunch of 90’s parallels that sell really well:
                Starquest Golds
                Zenith Z Golds
                Epix Emeralds
                Etc

I collect Hasek and his copies of the Starquest and Emerald Moment recently sold for over 500 each

Hockey collectors aren’t as into shiny stuff as bball collectors, but there are some serious bidding wars.

Comment

Originally posted by Anish View Post
                  There are a bunch of 90’s parallels that sell really well:
                  Starquest Golds
                  Zenith Z Golds
                  Epix Emeralds
                  Etc

I collect Hasek and his copies of the Starquest and Emerald Moment recently sold for over 500 each

Hockey collectors aren’t as into shiny stuff as bball collectors, but there are some serious bidding wars.
                  I get that there are inserts out there that sell for $500 or $1,000 for a star player, but what I'm talking about is a set where the commons are worth several hundred dollars. You see it with 1996 Select Certified Gold or 1997 Precious Metal Gems. But what's something like Jeff Beukeboom's rarest card worth? $1?

Comment

I'm finding that more collectors are looking for mid-90s inserts like 97 Donruss Preferred Hky die cuts, color Guards and LOTTs ( and Precious Metals/100 which are pretty tough to track down); 97 Studio BB Hardhats and Masterstrokes; Collectors' Choice Hky Starquest; 94 Parkie SE Hky Golds, Eurostars and Vintage. and as mentioned by Anish- Zenith Z Golds and Epix (all colours) to name a few. All this stuff I cracked at the time and has been sitting in 800 count boxes for years is finally starting to sell at local shows.

Comment

I've learned over the years, even though it's not my thing, that the modern card market in all major sports is a lot larger than I thought. In addition, many cards trade hands at high dollar values.

Again, not my "thing", but it seems to be a lot of people's "thing". Just go to a card show and see how many tables have the new shiny stuff. Those dealers do keep coming back.

Comment

Working...
                      X