Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puck_That
    started a topic John Anderson Hamburgers

John Anderson Hamburgers

John Anderson (born 1957) was a forward who spent 12 seasons in the NHL. The Toronto native is mostly known for the eight seasons he spent with the Maple Leafs. By the time I was born in 1983, he was averaging 30 goals a season - very impressive!

In the 1980s, he also ran many burger joints. I am going to assume that most of them were in the Toronto area. He opened the first one on Victoria Park, however, he later sold it. This restaurant is still in business, but it looks like most of the others got shut down over the years.

Name:  tspa_0029315f.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  130.3 KB
    Anderson shows off his delicious tasting hamburgers.

I dropped by there last night. It was 7:45 PM and the restaurant was going to close in 15 minutes. The worker looked exhausted and wanted to head home, but he was happy to take my order. As he put the hamburger patty on the grill, I looked to my left and saw the beautiful game-worn Maple Leafs jersey John wore in the 1980s. Surrounding the jersey are very old pictures of random NHL games, but the one that caught my attention the most was at the bottom. In the picture, there is a very skinny-looking kid with a frightened look on his face. That kid is Wayne Gretzky. I said to myself "wow, this jersey must have seen amazing things!" I looked at the cook and began asking him all sorts of questions about the jersey. He didn't speak much English and I could tell that I was starting to irritate him a bit. I realized that I had to simplify things a bit, so I said "how much?" He said "what?" I repeated myself and again said "how much?" His response was "no." He smiled a bit and went back to grilling my burger. At least hear my price, I thought! I learned over the counter and said "$500." He looked over at me again with that confused look, and I pointed at the jersey with my finger and said "$500 - good?" I stuck my hand out to seal the deal and he then started to laugh. "No, no ... nope" was his answer.

Name:  ls.jpg
Size:  10.7 KB
    A customer admires the game-worn Maple Leafs jersey

Name:  5d7dd5be9c16c034b491112fda1906ed.jpg
Size:  145.8 KB
    The jersey can also be seen from the outside window

When my order was ready, I thanked him for cooking for me so late and headed home. The food was amazing and the fries were so thick; most burger joints don't serve fries this thick anymore. I'm definitely looking forward to visiting this location again - maybe I will offer him a little bit more for the jersey this time.
    Last edited by Puck_That; 02-11-2019, 01:25 PM.

• Bobbyvhc
    replied
    Great little write up, sure brings back memories of watching him play and now I am hungry too!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X