Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will get a couple of shots of the rail car this summer and post them here.

Comment

[QUOTE=Qcards;n42043]Will get a couple of shots of the rail car this summer and post them here.[/QUO

I'll look forward to that. Thanks a lot.

Comment

A well known dealer in Toronto who I met back in the 90's told me that between periods, Harvey was known to walk across the street to a bar across from the Forum, and get a drink before returning to the ice. The story seemed a little far-fetched to me, but I wasn't sure what to believe. I have heard a lot of crazy stories about old hockey players.

Anybody else ever hear that story?

Comment

So the Canadiens organization was aware that their ex-player (who helped them win so many Stanley Cups) was living like this and yet did nothing about it? It must have been freezing inside there during the winter!

Comment

• strohman
            strohman commented
            Editing a comment
            I was thinking the same thing! How could someone survive in an uninsulated, metal rail car in Montreal during the winter?

It was the private rail car of former PM John Diefenbaker not a metal transport car, it was made for the current PM at the time. It wasn’t the Ritz but I’m sure it was livable

Comment

Originally posted by Puck_That View Post
            So the Canadiens organization was aware that their ex-player (who helped them win so many Stanley Cups) was living like this and yet did nothing about it? It must have been freezing inside there during the winter!
            They offered him scouting jobs and he was actually part of the 86 cup championship staff. His former Canadiens GM’s son bought him the rail car to keep him from living on the street. From what I remember reading his book, he did not accept charity well if any.

Comment

• strohman
              strohman commented
              Editing a comment
              That's much better than what I was imagining.

Harvey was such an original. He was his own man. He did it his way - full of opinions, cow towing to nobody, driving Kenny Reardon nuts with his puck possession style...he was authentic, not some establishment clown. And with apologies to Lidstrom, probably only Orr and Shore were better dmen. (I want to say Harv was better than Shore but that's personal bias. Shore's Harts make me take a sober second look at that).

Comment

I would love to visit that train car some time. I wish I had thought about it when I was last in the area.

Comment

You guys probably already know this, but when Harv was being inducted in the HOF, he went fishing instead. The Hall made him wait an extra year before being inducted due to his non-conformist ways (not just the booze, but the union stuff too). Considering he was clearly one of the greatest of all time, that was awfully petty of the Hall. I love that he skipped it in response.

Comment

I highly suggest his book if you haven’t read it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonmorrison View Post
                  I highly suggest his book if you haven’t read it yet.
                  Do you know the title? I've read a couple on him (Doug: The Doug Harvey Story & Stole this from a Hockey Card).

Comment

I have the Doug Harvey story one

Comment

Working...
                    X