X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dead

You get to go for supper with a dead hockey legend who you never met when they were alive. Who is it and why? Feel free to make a few picks if you want.

For me it's Doug Harvey by a country mile. And we would have whisky for supper.

Comment

HMMMM--let me think....Howie Morenz

Comment

An interesting post...… so many I would like to have dinner with...where do I start....Les Patrick, Art Ross, Cyc Taylor or Georges Vezina?

Comment

Well since I met my top 2 several times (Maurice Richard and Jean Beliveau), I would like an old time hero like Georges Vezina, Joe Malone, Howie Morenz or Aurele Joliat.

I would probably go for a retired Aurele Joliat because he saw it all, and would have tons of stories involving Vezina and Morenz who poassed away long before...

Comment

Eddie Shore

Comment

Let me give this thread a shot.

I would like to dine with some of the guys on the c56 cards, such as Art Ross, Newsy Lalonde, Cyclone Taylor, Patrick brothers, etc., but there is something bothering me here. I am a man of color, and I don't know if all of them would want to dine with me. We have to look at historical context here, folks. India was under British rule back then and we were regarded as inferior. If these guys saw me, maybe some of them would want me to serve them their tea instead!

I know ... I know ... my post is a little crazy, but things were just very different 100+ years ago.

The only guy on this list who MIGHT have been cool with me is Art Ross. He had a lot of aboriginal friends and he even learned their language. He was definitely way ahead of his time in that regard.
              Last edited by Puck_That; 01-27-2019, 04:10 PM. Reason: Bad spelling

Comment

• HockeynutRick
                HockeynutRick commented
                Editing a comment
                Touche…..That touches on a few other dimensions here. I grew up in the same area that Willie O'Ree is from.

Interesting read.

Comment

great question! Forget supper, I’d go drinking with Doug Harvey I think. Though I’d love to hear the stories that Toe Blake may have

Comment

Jean Beliveau, Lester Patrick, and Newsy Lalonde would be my faves , a real blast from the past who did so many different things in their lifetimes. Not just players but managers and presidents of clubs . Lalonde was an awesome lacrosse player so these guys got around in an era when transportation was a far cry from what it is today.

Comment

Based on stories i've read i would also say Eddie Shore, but as a Leafs fan i would love to dine with Conn Smythe or Foster Hewitt (does he count?)

Comment

Lester Patrick, Newsy Lalonde, King Clancy, Charlie Conacher, Joe Hall--I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of wonderful players. A lot of great choices were already taken, so I didn't want to repeat all the names that were already mentioned.
                      Lester Patrick was involved in so many parts of the game. He was a player, he formed a league, coached in PCHL and NHL. Saw the game of hockey really grow and spread across Canada.
                      Newsy Lalonde was one of the earliest great players and he played with so many of the early greats.

Charlie Conacher and King Clancy were both great players of their generation. Clancy was another player who had a great career but then was involved in the NHL for many years to come.

Actually Eddie Shore is another great choice. I would love to hear him tell the story of driving through a snowstorm to get to Montreal after he missed the trains with the rest of the Bruins!

Comment

Originally posted by brandonmorrison View Post
                        great question! Forget supper, I’d go drinking with Doug Harvey I think. Though I’d love to hear the stories that Toe Blake may have

Sorry, that's not very funny or appropriate. Harvey had a tough life as an alcoholic. Lived in a box car for awhile, and died too young.

Comment

Doug Harvey did live out the final years of his life in an actual railway car. The owners of Montreal Canadiens were involved at one point with the Connaught horse racing track in Gatineau and had Tommy Gorman manage the track.

They have a rail car out in front and Gorman let Harvey live there and he died there alone with a heavy drinking problem which is pretty sad given his illustrious career.

The rail car is still there and I pass it on my way to golf when I play on the Quebec side and it still weirds me out when I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Qcards View Post
                            Doug Harvey did live out the final years of his life in an actual railway car. The owners of Montreal Canadiens were involved at one point with the Connaught horse racing track in Gatineau and had Tommy Gorman manage the track.

They have a rail car out in front and Gorman let Harvey live there and he died there alone with a heavy drinking problem which is pretty sad given his illustrious career.

The rail car is still there and I pass it on my way to golf when I play on the Quebec side and it still weirds me out when I see it.
                            I'd love pics of it it!

Comment

Working...
                            X