Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PreWarCards
    started a topic 1933 Stoodleigh's find - possible complete set

1933 Stoodleigh's find - possible complete set

Hi all - I typically don't run around plugging my articles but because of the rarity of these cards, I thought you might be interested in this article documenting a recent find of eight 1933 (or 1932) Stoodleigh's. I previously had only heard of four known ones and this may be the complete set. In addition to the four that were known, the set also includes King Clancy, Ace Bailey, Tom Daly, and Lester Patrick.

I will preface this by saying I have not seen the cards in person. However, I believe these are 100% authentic. I believe the owner is planning to have them graded before determining what he wants to do with them.

A rare 1930s hockey issue may finally have a complete checklist For years, the 1930s Stoodleigh hockey cards sat in obscurity and went unnoticed. Heck, even when they were discovered, a full checklist was not known to the hobby. But thanks to a recent discovery from an Ontario collector, we now have a much clearer…

• ViewFromStLou
    commented on 's reply
    Leave it to Bobby to put it all together in a most interesting way. Thanks Bobby...really great.

• rocket9richard
    commented on 's reply
    Great article. I Always enjoy reading and Learning about some rare unusual oddball hockey items...

• HowieMorenz7
    commented on 's reply
    Thank goodness for Historical Bobby!--Great info

• Bobbyvhc
    replied
    Here is the updated article, may as well keep the info flowing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1f.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	7052

Name:	2f.jpg
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	7053

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	7055

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	7056

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	383.3 KB
ID:	7057

Leave a comment:

• Kbarney
    commented on 's reply
    Like most folks here, I love reading about the discovery and the historical elements that Bobby and others add. There is also an element of perspective, as I grew up 20 minutes away from Mutual Street and also Maple Leaf Gardens. Then, as the process unfolds, I am keenly interested in learning of the possible grading, exposure and monetization processes...so yes, very interested observer here!

• Andy Baran
    replied
    I love reading about new discoveries. I am disappointed (and a little relieved since it's unlikely that I could find and/or afford one) that Eddie Shore doesn't appear to be in the set.

Leave a comment:

• HowieMorenz7
    commented on 's reply
    Darn--now that would've been cool!

• Kbarney
    commented on 's reply
    No. I wish!

• HowieMorenz7
    replied
    Originally posted by Kbarney View Post
    Wow! Thanks to all contributors. My favourite topic/chain so far in 2019 with the rest of the year left!!
    Thanks again.
    It sounds like you are the one who owns these cards....? do you?

Leave a comment:

• Kbarney
    replied
    Wow! Thanks to all contributors. My favourite topic/chain so far in 2019 with the rest of the year left!!
    Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• Bobbyvhc
    replied
    The year or dates with regards to all hockey issues are always hyphenated, so regardless of the month in the hockey season that something is release, it is considered 1932-33 for this set, even though the dates start in January of 1933. Having sent the information to PSA on the card issue to see if they would grade it and Joe Orlando accepted it. I sent in the Morenz for grading, I wanted them to put 1932-33 on the date of issue, however, they just put 1932 on it, which is fine because cards such as these are not designated as rookie cards and doesn't affect the value.

Traditionally, most promotions ran for 3 months, so this might well be a full set. I was entertaining there might be 10 in the set, as there were 10 games and perhaps they handed out one for each game as a promotion.

These were issued in the 2 year of the Leafs new home, Maple Leaf Gardens. Stoodleigh's was located a couple hundred yards away from the Mutual Street Arena that the Leafs played at the season before.It appears they issued these to draw back some business that was lost from the Leafs moving.

Jimmy Thompson, the artist, a couple years prior he issued a series of hockey player drawings for a newspaper, very much the same size as these cards. I will put the new info and article in the upcoming Toronto Expo magazine.

Name:	jimmy ward Thompsondd.jpg
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	7029

Last edited by Bobbyvhc; 02-06-2019, 06:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PreWarCards
    replied
    Thanks for the kind words, all - I will certainly let anyone know that wants if the cards become available once the owner's plans are a little more concrete. You can feel free to reach out to me through my site.

My personal, possibly misguided belief is that the set is complete at eight. The card of the trainer is a somewhat odd inclusion for sure and could suggest more prominent names are in it. However, the highest-known card before was No. 8 and, if more beyond No. 8 exist, that this find perfectly filled in the four missing cards instead of hitting on one of the later numbers would be a sizable coincidence. If there were indeed more cards, the odds would be better that one of those was discovered (i.e. a No. 11 or No. 12) instead of these perfectly filling in the four missing gaps. Plus, that he has the other four known tells me this is probably complete.

I could have that one completely wrong, though, and you never say never with these sorts of things. A Babe Ruth that no one had ever seen before was just discovered in a rare set last year, for example. But at this point, I would be very surprised if more showed up in this set. Just my opinion.

If I hear anything else on these, I'll be sure to drop in and let you know.

Leave a comment:

• ViewFromStLou
    commented on 's reply
    PM sent to PreWarCards

• HowieMorenz7
    commented on 's reply
    Should be sold to collectors like us first--then the rest into auction
Working...
X