X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your opinion on Graded cards?

I never really seen this discussion on here, but always thought it is an interesting one. Personally, I do not like graded cards but I can definitely understand the financial part of it. However, if I am buying expensive cards I do tend to seek graded. But with my collection I crack out graded and have all raw cards. I think the holders are ugly and not practical. I just dont get flipping through a bunch of slabs looking at your cards through the plastic.

I know I could be biased as I collect mainly for fun, and go for the lower to mid grade stuff.. What are other people's opinions on this?

I love collecting mid grade graded cards for some of the sets I simply couldn’t afford high grade in such as 54 topps or 55 parkies. I love finding deals in those 5-6 grades usually PSA or Beckett.
    I personally like when the entire set is done in one certain grade and grader.

Comment

Professional grading was the best thing to ever happen to sports cards.

Comment

100 percent agree. Ebay is right up there too.

Comment

With more and more fakes coming out, third party grading is going to be a must for buying over the web. I've compared images of real and fake on the monitor and can't tell the difference. I'm sure it's obvious in hand...

This is an affordable authentic card yet inexplicably there's a reprint.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-OPC-RE...BWzq:rk:1:pf:0

Comment

• cpuck44
            cpuck44 commented
            Editing a comment
            I can't believe the different reprints this store is listing, unbelievable. At least they market them as such but not certain how they get around copyright considerations. I brought this up last year regarding reprints of the 69 OPC stamps, not good for the hobby. Especially for those just getting into it along with dishonest sellers.
            https://www.ebay.com/str/Barbaras-Re...p2047675.l2563

I agree that graded cards are one of the best things to ever happen to the hobby. When eBay was brand new I was buying raw cards based on the description of the seller. I was often disappointed in what I received since so many sellers were overgrading their cards. Sometimes I was able to return the cards, but eBay didn't have the protection it does today.

Once PSA came about and slowly became more accepted, I submitted a few cards of my own. That's when I found out that some of my cards had been trimmed or recolored. It wasn't many cards, but I didn't want anything like that in my collection. After that I began to move toward all graded cards. It makes it so much easier, especially when buying something expensive. I still want to see a nice scan, but a grade gives me some reassurance.

Comment

Originally posted by bruinsfan20 View Post
            I never really seen this discussion on here, but always thought it is an interesting one. Personally, I do not like graded cards but I can definitely understand the financial part of it. However, if I am buying expensive cards I do tend to seek graded. But with my collection I crack out graded and have all raw cards. I think the holders are ugly and not practical. I just dont get flipping through a bunch of slabs looking at your cards through the plastic.

I know I could be biased as I collect mainly for fun, and go for the lower to mid grade stuff.. What are other people's opinions on this?
            As a set collector, there are many cards I've "cracked out". High end stuff I won't, but mid to lower end stuff I prefer raw. If I find a nice card that will fit well (condition-wise) into a set I'm building, there's a good chance I'll crack it out. For example, I'm building an EX-MT - NM 1964-65 Topps Tall Boys set, and any card I find I crack. I prefer the 110 card set in a binder, not in the large plastic slabs they come in.

Now, my C56 and C55 sets, if I find any card slabbed, I will leave it slabbed.

Originally posted by brandonmorrison View Post
            I love collecting mid grade graded cards for some of the sets I simply couldn’t afford high grade in such as 54 topps or 55 parkies. I love finding deals in those 5-6 grades usually PSA or Beckett.

Agreed. Cards in 5-7 are the best bang for the buck, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Stampsfan View Post

I prefer the 110 card set in a binder, not in the large plastic slabs they come in.

Exactly, for storage and appearance, raw is much better IMO.

and I do agree with others here, if I am buying online, and the card is fairly expensive then I don't mind graded, but the card gets cracked out. This would be for PSA 3 or below..

Comment

Originally posted by brandonmorrison View Post

Hello Brandon,

I don't sell much on Ebay other than a few 54-55 Topps that become duplicates after an upgrade. I sent you a private message a few weeks ago regarding one and I just noticed some additional activity on another. If you see this, I guess you should respond to the private message first as I'm not sure if we are supposed to post email addresses in threads. I am sure we could work something out. Thanks.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by georgebailey2 View Post

Hello Brandon,

I don't sell much on Ebay other than a few 54-55 Topps that become duplicates after an upgrade. I sent you a private message a few weeks ago regarding one and I just noticed some additional activity on another. If you see this, I guess you should respond to the private message first as I'm not sure if we are supposed to post email addresses in threads. I am sure we could work something out. Thanks.

Paul
                  Check your inbox for message
                  Cheers,Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X