X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Vote for your GOAT

According to you, who is the greatest of all time?

PLEASE VOTE EVERYONE!

If you want to, then please explain below the reason for your choice. If you select OTHER, then please post the name.

Poll closes March 1st, 2019
    a) Mario Lemieux
    7.89%
    b) Gordie Howe
    10.53%
    c) Wayne Gretzky
    31.58%
    d) Bobby Orr
    44.74%
    e) Other (please specify in the comments section below)
    5.26%

The poll is expired.

Gretzky would be the all time points leader even if he never scored a goal. How can he not be the best?

Comment

A team is made up off 6 players, 6 Orr's Vs. 6 Gretzky's
      Orr would win all the time that simple. LOL Because he could play every position even in net.

Bobby Orr was the GOAT

Comment

Wow - 4 votes in less than an hour! KEEP THEM COMING, PEOPLE!

Just a few things I want to add:

- Gretzky was scrawny (160 pounds). If you watch his games from his prime years, you will see how easily he would fall to the ice after a light shove from opposing players. What if 6 Milan Lucics played against 6 Gretzkys? I think Gretzky would lose. Lucic would just play aggressively and take away his space. Would that make Lucic the better player though?

- Howe has 801 regular season career goals (just behind Gretzky), but he did it with a STRAIGHT blade. Just imagine what he would have been able to do if he was given a CURVED blade. As you are aware, a curved blade not only gives you more puck control, but it also allows your shots to go higher. He also scored 174 goals during his time in the WHA. He did this when he was almost 50 years old.

Comment

• Stampsfan
          Stampsfan commented
          Editing a comment
          "What if 6 Milan Lucics played against 6 Gretzkys? I think Gretzky would lose."

"...but he did it with a STRAIGHT blade. Just imagine what he would have been able to do if he was given a CURVED blade. As you are aware, a curved blade not only gives you more puck control, but it also allows your shots to go higher."

I cannot even fathom a comment to these inane statements. Wow. What insight. You should be on TV with all this knowledge.
          Seriously, have you ever played the game at any level?

"Lucic has burned out now, yes, but I was talking about him as a Bruin."
          Yes, and in this bizarro world, the six Lucic's as a Bruin were playing against the six Gretzky's when the six Gretzky's were four years old.

• Puck_That
          Puck_That commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually Gretzky himself discussed this in his new book. He considered the straight blade to be a disadvantage.

• Stampsfan
          Stampsfan commented
          Editing a comment
          Then why is Lucic not one of your choices in your poll? With Orr, Howe, Lemieux, and Gretzky, he'd be the obvious fifth choice in your world. And he'd apparently get at least one vote.

Gretzky has burned out too, as he's in his 50's. Are you saying Lucic at his peak would be better than Gretzky at his peak?

Come to think of it, Lucic might (as of this moment) be the best player on the poll. Better than Howe, Morenz, Richard, Beliveau...

Just not even close for me. When you can win defensive and offensive awards which no other player in the history of the sport has been able to do. Just imagine what Orr's +/- would be if he had a full career. It's higher than Gretzky's in half the career played. I hate to say it, but Gretzky was just way too protected as a player. There was no physical game with him. The GOAT can do EVERYTHING, and Orr did just that.

Comment

No goalie in the list?

Comment

• Puck_That
            Puck_That commented
            Editing a comment
            Just select 'other' and then tell us who the goalie is.

• GillesRen
            GillesRen commented
            Editing a comment
            Martin Brodeur could easily made the option in my opinion.
            His career wins and SO have not been approached by any other goalies and I highly
            doubt they will be surpassed in the future.
            Last edited by GillesRen; 12-30-2018, 08:00 AM.

• villager
            villager commented
            Editing a comment
            Martin Brodeur is a notable choice, but Patrick Roy is also a good choice. He didn't invented butterfly style, but he has popularized it. By the way, Brodeur and Roy are often compared to each other, but is noteworthy to mention that Roberto Luongo is now the goalie who played in the most NHL games in his career. He didn't won as many Stanley Cup and other awards as the two others, but he's one of the three goalies to have played over a 1000 NHL games (with Roy and Brodeur).

Take away the eras in which they played, Orr was simply the greatest player to touch the ice. He revolutionized the game of hockey. Look at his stats, his entire body of short work. Same argument I make that Hasek was the greatest goalie of all time. Hopefully you don’t jump on me for that one haha

Comment

The modern game has likely not seen anybody who could match the talent and scoring exploits of Gretzky (and Mario, too), but I have to ask what people think Orr's goal/point totals would have been had he also played in the '80s? Is it possible he would have cracked the 200 point barrier....from the blue line?! Yep, I certainly think so.

Different era, different game, different players. Always makes these sorts of debates fun and interesting. But for me it is Bobby Orr.

Comment

• villager
              villager commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree. It is kind of hard to compare guys who played seasons of 50 or 70 games with today's 82-84 matches.

Originally posted by Damir View Post
            Just not even close for me. When you can win defensive and offensive awards which no other player in the history of the sport has been able to do. Just imagine what Orr's +/- would be if he had a full career. It's higher than Gretzky's in half the career played. I hate to say it, but Gretzky was just way too protected as a player. There was no physical game with him. The GOAT can do EVERYTHING, and Orr did just that.
            There will always be a lot of 'what if' questions when people discuss Bobby Orr. What if he had played for another ten more seasons? What if he had played in the 72' Summit Series? There is one thing I want to point out though, and that is sometimes a player can burn out at an early age. I've seen it happen to a lot of great players. In other words, if Orr didn't have knee issues, how do we know that he could have continued playing at that level past 30? Anyhow, I have no problem with people calling him the GOAT. Whenever somebody does upload an old Bruins game on YouTube, I always enjoy watching him play. I agree that he could do it all - block well, smooth skater, good hands, vision, toughness, speed, etc.

Comment

As far as goaltenders, I don't think that it's even close.

Dominik Hasek hands down.

For whatever reason, he never gets the credit that he deserves. He took a team of nobody Buffalo Sabres playoffs to the finals and, what he did in the 1998 Olympics was probably even more impressive.

Comment

Amen brother.

Comment

For me, Glenn Hall. Reinvented the position, first hybrid and butterfly goaltender. Talking with Kelly Hrudey just before Christmas at a Flames game, and he agreed that he felt Hall was the greatest ever.

If there is one record that will never be broken in any sport, it is 502 consecutive regular season games played by a goaltender. Forget Doug Jarvis, Cal Ripkin, Joe D's 56 game hitting streak, Brodeur's total shutouts... this is the one that will never be broken.

And if I recall correctly, that number is over 600 games if you include playoffs.

Comment

Then why is Lucic not one of your choices in your poll? With Orr, Howe, Lemieux, and Gretzky, he'd be the obvious fifth choice in your world. And he'd apparently get at least one vote.

Gretzky has burned out too, as he's in his 50's. Are you saying Lucic at his peak would be better than Gretzky at his peak?

Come to think of it, Lucic might (as of this moment) be the best player on the poll. Better than Howe, Morenz, Richard, Beliveau...

It looks like my posts confused you.

In this thread, I asked all of you to choose the player who you think is the GOAT. This is based on stats, style of play, individual awards, championships, length of career, etc. I did not ask anyone to rank players based on how well they would do in a 6 on 6 battle (e.g. 6 Howes vs. 6. Lemieuxs). It was Danny who first mentioned this, and the only point I wanted to make is that if you look at it from that perspective, then it makes things complicated. Lucic is the perfect example I used. If 6 Lucics played against 6 Gretzkys, here is what would happen:

First period: Gretzky goes into the corner to get the puck, and BOOM, gets smashed by Lucic. He exits the game.

Start of third period: There are no Gretzkys left. (lol).

Does anyone here think that all the Gretzkys would be able to avoid getting hit by the Lucics throughout the whole entire game? I don't think so.

Now would this make Lucic the better player? Of course not! Again, nobody decides who the GOAT is using that line of reasoning.

Let me give you another example:

I once read something where Jordan admitted that Wilt Chamberlain would have probably beaten him on a 1 on 1 battle. However, nobody cares about this. Like I mentioned above, people use other criteria in order to decide who the GOAT is. Jordan never lost in a Finals series, and there was never a game 7. He could have won more titles, but he left the game when his father got assassinated. The management also broke the team up when he was still in his prime. Add to that his style of play, loyalty to his team, his collaboration with Nike, etc. This is why most consider him the GOAT. Wilt on the other hand was a great player, but he choked year after year after year. Then he packed his bags and went to LA.

I hope this post makes more sense to you.

By the way, did you vote?
                    Last edited by Puck_That; 01-03-2019, 01:32 PM.

Comment

I went with Bobby but I have no argument with those who chose Gordie or Wayne. They are the three greatest players in history in any order.

Orr gets my vote, not only for being far and away the best defenseman in history, but for also winning two scoring championships. His second Art Ross Trophy was won in his last full season when his knee was almost finished. He was simply incredible.

Bobby was only able to play 10 games in the 1975-76 season. He played those games with Brad Park playing the other point on the Boston power play. Bobby scored 18 points in those 10 games. We Bruins fans can only dream of what might have been had Orr and Park been able to play together for a number of years.

Mario would have been on equal footing with the other three if he had a better attitude when he was young and healthy. He didn't love playing the game until it was almost taken away from him. I do however think that Orr and Lemieux were the two most talented players ever.

Regarding goaltenders; the one thing I'm sure about is that Martin Brodeur is far from the greatest. He played behind an air tight defense for most of his career and yet his save percentage was rarely, if ever, at the level of Dominik Hasek who faced 10-15 more shots per game. How many shutouts did Marty have where he faced less than 20 shots? I'm betting it's a lot. The Devils would have won more Cups if Brodeur was as good as Hasek or Patrick Roy.

No current goalies can be considered as the best because of the ridiculous equipment they are blessed to wear, so that leaves Hasek, Roy, Dryden, Sawchuk, Plante and Hall as my top six. I think I have to go with Terry Sawchuk as No. 1.
                      Last edited by JohnH19; 01-04-2019, 03:02 AM.

Comment

If longevity and all-around game (all 200 feet and physicality) are highly important to you, it's Howe.
                        If statistical offensive production and longevity are priorities, it's Gretzky.
                        If the greatest career prime (who you'd want in one game) is seen as the apex with less reverence to longevity/health, it's Orr.

No one played at Orr's level, but his flame was short lived. Gretzky's productivity is unmatched, but there was no physicality or defense. Howe did it all. He wasn't as dynamic as Orr, but he played many times longer. For me it's Howe, but I very much respect the votes for the other two.

Comment

Working...
                        X