X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another good reason to stick to vintage

I'd like to thank the graphic designers of this year's Young Guns for making one of the best arguments for sticking to vintage. Congratulations on making the most boring hockey cards humanly possible.

Here here. Biggest waste of money IMO.

Comment

Years ago, I still used to pick up some of the Young Guns rookie cards, especially when you could still get them cheap. But then they started making those limited edition cards and selling them for stupid amounts of money. At the Expo I kept hearing guys asking about Young Guns cards, but there were different variations they were looking for that were going for hundreds of dollars or more. Guys were spending $1500 for new cards. One dealer told me to get rid of my vintage and just buy McDavid cards!

Comment

Collecting is a trend now created by TV show like american picker and pawn star. I am in the hobby since 1990 and like many of you here like me back then people looked at us and said what is this wierd hobby to invest thousand $ in cards....New cards generation is created by new stars like crosby and mcdavid + the collecting trend in the society due to TV show. According to me in a futur cards like these young gun will drop in value because they are no rarity here. The value is just based on extremelly high demand and the trend created by tv show in the society. My opinion is the same for the people who paid 6000$++ for a psa8 gretzky rc cards with a pop report of 700.. LOL what a rare card verry tough to find or 2500$ for a psa 7 with 900 pop report The best for now is to buy vintage items that are not in the want list of everyone (major player rc cards) who have too much money and 0 knowledge ( 80% of the collector today ). And like you said Art no young guns.

The only item in modern that will hold their value is : The Cup rookie cards of important superstars.
        Its oly my little opinion and i am perhaps wrong and perhaps corect... futur will tell me the answer...

Sorry for the writting mistake in english i tried my best to do it correctly.

Have a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by prewar_collector View Post
          ... The only item in modern that will hold their value is : The Cup rookie cards of important superstars.
          Its oly my little opinion and i am perhaps wrong and perhaps corect... futur will tell me the answer...

Sorry for the writting mistake in english i tried my best to do it correctly.
          Votre Anglais,c'est mieux que mon Francais. Merci pour en essayant.

If I only know what rookie card I should get of the new guys...

Originally posted by strohman View Post
          ... One dealer told me to get rid of my vintage and just buy McDavid cards!
          He must have had a bunch to sell you.

Comment

Stampsfan : you need to buy rookie card of players who will be good in the futur and will not have injuries in the futur or will not do a baby with another girl than his wife and after that affect his mental and now a low grade goaltendre
            in resume you need a crystal ball for the exception of the phenomen like mcdavid and crosby.

Comment

• HowieMorenz7
              HowieMorenz7 commented
              Editing a comment
              Amazing insight.

I have no problem with the hype/gimmicks of modern cards.... anything that keeps interest to the hobby is a good thing......

Comment

• hart2004
              hart2004 commented
              Editing a comment
              I hear that to be honest. I just think this year's Young Guns are ugly as hell~!

The Young Guns design is indeed generic, but what I really don't like much about modern cards is they often fell in pointless photography. They want to make it different. Fine. A goalie low angle shot from the ice surface is nice, but what's the point of a hockey card picture when they warm up playing soccer near the dressing room or eating breakfast cereals in the Stanley Cup? I would rather have the pic while they sit on the bench.

Also, FYI, there's McDavid The Cup Patch Auto RC selling for USD 50 000 on Ebay Yes, it is nice and rare card, but its value can be traded one to one for a nice car. In other words, they try to sell a 3 years old card USD 6 500 higher than the medium annual wage in the U.S.! Meanwhile, a Mario Lemieux RC is about $200.

Comment

Originally posted by prewar_collector View Post
              Stampsfan : you need to buy rookie card of players who will be good in the futur and will not have injuries in the futur or will not do a baby with another girl than his wife and after that affect his mental and now a low grade goaltendre
              in resume you need a crystal ball for the exception of the phenomen like mcdavid and crosby.

Sorry, I meant what card (because there are so many) of a particular player should you buy early on. It seems that eventually one particular card of a player seems to exceed the others in price, such as Trout, Brady, and Crosby, just to name a few.

Comment

Working...
              X