X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada Post Strike

Have really slowed down my online purchase of hockey cards through various websites due to the Canada Post strike. I have heard Canadians can expect up to a 2 month backlog on delivery of parcels as "Gateway" Canada's main postal hub had over 600 semi-tractor trailers full of parcels waiting for unloading. This strike is an absolute joke, as Canada Post is trying to use Christmas as a "bargaining tool for negotiation". These people are very lucky I'm not running the show here as I would sell off Canada post and sell it to the private sector. There is too much union involvment here, as well as a lack of fair negotiation on the Management of Canada Posts side, its too big an operation to expect Canadians as well as retail to put up with complete nonsence. Its so sad that people are not willing to put their differences aside and think for just a moment they are losing touch with the spirit of Christmas..so sad..Last thing I want is a $300-$500 PWCC purchase stuck in the mail..No Thanks..Will wait until this labor dispute passes..In the meantime the Grinch never stole Christmas, Canada Post has..

Not to be argumentative, but you just put your $300-$500 PWCC hockey card purchase above peoples' livelihoods.

As an aside, PWCC is using an alternative shipper that is lightning fast.
    Last edited by hart2004; 11-20-2018, 09:34 PM.

Comment

And soon after selling Canada Post to the private sector, the cost to ship would triple instantly.

Comment

• Puck_That
        Puck_That commented
        Editing a comment
        This is true

• strohman
        strohman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes Gilles, you are completely right! The private sector loves to come in and take over an industry, then raise prices on a regular basis!

There are private companies purolator ect

Comment

I agree with Paul in that this whole series of postal rotating strikes is very frustrating.

Canada Post will probably never privatize as all parts of Canada including the remote north need to be served which would make no economic sense for a privately run company.

My eBay sales within Canada have slowed to almost nothing and the few sales I do make are almost guaranteed to trigger a "where is my item" e-mail from the buyer. I have a buyer here in Ottawa who bought a card from me 11 days ago and has not received it and he lives across town.

As for Canada Post, the situation is very complicated. The corporation is dealing with a huge decline in revenue due to shrinking volume because of the internet.

Postal workers are now forced to deliver tons of fliers and I know some posties who tell me the sheer weight of this stuff is back breaking but it is one of their last profitable areas of business for Canada Post.

As for striking before Christmas, it is all about leverage so you can't blame the union as their leverage will be greatly diminished after the holidays.

I would think the workers will be legislated back by the end of the week as many big corporations, including eBay, are leaning heavily on the government to resolve this.

Comment

I'm not a Canadian so I'm not affected by these strikes except for my card purchases. I don't know all the details of this strike except for what I heard while at the Expo. I'm an impatient person so I would truly hate it if my packages were delayed. That being said, I'm also a union member and part of the union negotiating team. I generally support any group seeking fair wages and benefits. If this strike has lasted for months, it's obvious that management isn't concerned enough about this strike to bring it to an end. Don't just blame one side. I'm sure the postal workers would like to go back to work!

Comment

If I were a Canadian, I would refuse to bid on any eBay auctions until this strike is resolved. Especially vintage cards, hall of fame rookies and anything else I need for sets I am building.

Comment

Personally for me it’s collecting as usual. If a card takes a month or two instead of a week or two, I deal with it.

Comment

I’ve exclusively used my US mailing address just over the border in the Falls for all recent card purchases. I am set to deliver a few higher end cards to someone in Waterloo and decided to take the hour drive and personally deliver them to avoid any major delays or loss.

Comment

Oh and let’s pray they don’t get privatized. We needed to ship something priority (small box) and spent $53 at UPS, where Canada Post would be roughly $17

Comment

The strike is only certain days, I got a lot of stuff today! As for my PWCC purchase, it will come via FedEx so no worry!

Comment

• Kbarney
                      Kbarney commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My PWCC items that ended Monday were delivered today. Seriously well-run operation.

I received a card in the mail yesterday. I'm with Hart, if it takes some extra time, so be it.

Originally posted by Qcards View Post
                    ...I would think the workers will be legislated back by the end of the week as many big corporations, including eBay, are leaning heavily on the government to resolve this.
                    We in Alberta were also "leaning heavily on the government to resolve " the pipeline issue. That's years away now, if ever. Not so sure they could run a hot dog stand with any competence.

Comment

Seems to depend on what service you use in Canada Post. I just got a card by Expresspost sent from Ontario to Vancouver - mailed on the 21st and got it the 23rd.

Comment

Service in Winnipeg seems to be running in a timely fashion. I take those news reports about the backlog of undelivered packages with a grain of salt. It's a rotating strike so any delays shouldn't be substantial.

Comment

So far it has hit me negatively. Sold a couple of cards across the river here into Gatineau, but unfortunately they haven't showed up yet. Likely sitting in one of the trucks full of mail at the Ottawa central office. It is such a pain because it would have been less of a problem for me to run it 30 minutes to the guy's house then wait and hope they get around to delivering it.

Comment

Working...
                          X