X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Sawchuk Card Info Needed

Has anyone seen this card before. It is just a tad bigger than a tallboy.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	6804

Beeing a goaltender in the 60's was a dangerous job.

Comment

Originally posted by GillesRen View Post
      Beeing a goaltender in the 60's was a dangerous job.
      Don't quite understand it either. Baseball catchers were wearing masks way back when. It's not like masks weren't around. The NFL ended the leather helmets in 1950 and recommended face guards in 1955 to help players avoid all the broken noses and teeth.
      Last edited by exodus; 11-03-2018, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Heck one could even wear a mask and still get stitches...got 6 myself and that was in the late 70's.
        The card is part of a set named Life Remembers. It was issued in 1985. Check it out on eBay.

Comment

Bobby, the card is copyrighted 1985 by TIME magazine, but the original photo is the same one used by LIFE magazine in their March 4, 1966 issue 4-page article called "The Goalie Is The Goat". The gist of the article is the goalie's job is the toughest in hockey & he is the "fall guy" whenever the defense breaks down & goals result. Also featured in the article are photos of some other NHL goalies ((Roger Crozier, Dave Dryden, Ed Giacomin, Jacques Plante and Gump Worsley). Most are on ice action shots except for the iconic shot of Plate putting on his mask over a bloody nose.

The caption under the Sawchuk photo reads, "Terry Sawchuk displays his hockey stitches and scars - applied by a makeup man who did not have room for all of them. ..."
          In other words with enhancement & dramatic lighting the facial scars are accentuated & exaggerated. There is a 2nd smaller portrait photo of Sawchuck with a smiling, more normal looking face.
          Getting back to the card itself, I don't know know anything more.

By the copyright date we can guess that it was part of a retro promotion by TIME-LIFE featuring some of the most dramatic photos from their archives. I have this card but have never seen another in the series (if there even was a series), so this might be the only goalie or hockey shot. Hard to believe this would be the only card. After his name on the card there is a number (74995) but I have no idea what that refers to.

Comment

Thanks for the information, certainly has me perplexed as to its origin. I know of the 1966 article and saw the pictures but this card is a mystery, it on card stock too.

Comment

Bobby; Check eBay...
              232921776038. The Sawchuk is from same set. See also 223000492117
              Last edited by HockeynutRick; 11-03-2018, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks Rick, now we know!!

Comment

I cannot buddy in the "232921776038" listing called him "Joe Lewis".

Comment

Working...
                  X