• Show
Clear All

• 60 years ago

Click image for larger version

Name:	1957-03-16Cvr,lineups.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	6780 1957 - Mar. 16 Leafs vs NYR
    The first NHL game I attended was 60 years ago at Maple Leaf Gardens. My father took me for my 11th birthday. All games were sold out but dad bought 2 tickets in the “greens” at the north end from a man who couldn’t attend the game. The Leafs outscored the Rangers 14 to 1, still a franchise record. Three Leafs (Brian Cullen, Sid Smith & Ron Stewart) all had hat tricks, another franchise record. The goalies were Ed Chadwick for the Leafs and Lorne “Gump” Worsley for the Rangers. The referee was Red Storey. Attendance was 12,601. This was the Leafs’ home game #33 and season game #66. The Leafs failed to make the playoffs this year, finishing in fifth place.
    Years later at a card show I had the opportunity to ask Gump Worsley about this game. He related to me that his coach Phil Watson, told the players to take things easy to avoid any injuries before the upcoming playoffs. The Rangers had secured their playoff spot and Toronto couldn’t catch them. Gump Worsley still seemed to be mad about it 40 years later.
    I finally tracked down a replacement for my long gone souvenir program after searching for many years. I can now scratch this one off my list - it came in the mail yesterday.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1957-03-16-BOX,clock.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	6781

Attached Files
    Last edited by ViewFromStLou; 10-25-2018, 10:21 PM.

That’s so cool !!! A blast from the past, way to find that vintage program! I love those old vintage programs (history books) ...

Comment

Great post.

Comment

Great story!! Amazing that you were able to track down a program

Comment

If the score was 14-1, then all the adults in the building were probably bored watching this game (no competition!) However, since you were only 11 years old, then you must have had an amazing time! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL!

Comment

• ViewFromStLou
            ViewFromStLou commented
            Editing a comment
            You know at 11 years old it's all about you. I was thrilled!

An amazing story--thanks for sharing

Comment

Great story. You've inspired me to tell a similar one in a few months, on the 50th anniversary of the first NHL game I attended.

Comment

great post, it is these stories that i love about this hobby, its not always about something that is worth lots of money, sometimes we just need to find that special memory, great that you got to attend a historic game like that and now have the program as a reminder, added bonus of chatting about it years later with the "Gumper" too nice bonus
              i was checking some copies of Leafs games i recorded from LeafsTV and i believe i have the 3rd period of that game if you want i could try and make you a copy for your added records.
              let me know leafs4evr2001@yahoo.ca

Comment

• ViewFromStLou
                ViewFromStLou commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the kind offer. I sent you an email.
                JohnA

Great story of the love of the game and the memories. Hey, maybe if you see the game again, you might be in a crowd shot? Never know. I wish we had iphones back then, oh the stuff we could look back at!!

Comment

• ViewFromStLou
                ViewFromStLou commented
                Editing a comment
                I scanned all the 3rd period footage looking for a snot-nosed 11-year old kid but it wasn't clear enough.

Originally posted by Bobbyvhc View Post
              Great story of the love of the game and the memories. Hey, maybe if you see the game again, you might be in a crowd shot? Never know. I wish we had iphones back then, oh the stuff we could look back at!!
              Bobby it's probably a good thing there were not iPhones back in the day. Most of us would be in jail. I could not imagine the silly crap I did as a kid getting posted. Most could probably attest!

Comment

another little tidbit from this game, Ted "Teeder" Kennedy last NHL game as well. he came out of retirement mid season to help the Leafs out as they ran into some injuries and boy this team was pretty bad too., he was given the captaincy back as well. after this game he decided to sit out the last 4 games of the season to allow the Leafs to take a look at some of the younger players they had in the system such as Frank Mahovlich and Ken Girard.
                and i think it would have been cool to see the snot-nosed 11 year old doing some silly crap at his first Leafs game, Lord knows i was probably excited at my first one, still get excited when i get to go to one so hey lets all get excited
                Go-Leafs-Go!

Comment

Working...
                X