X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess the Grade!

I think these are always fun. What grade do you think this card deserves? I only scanned the front, but the back looks to be in the same condition as what you see on the front.
    So, what do you think?
    1924 Champs Frank Finnigan
    Last edited by strohman; 10-09-2018, 07:07 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	finnigan.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	6755
    Here is a better sized scan of the card.

Comment

Guessing the grade of a card with a chip on the front is tough because psa has treated them differently through the years. I would guess a 6

Comment

Looks like a nice card to me.....5

Comment

Did everybody go on vacation or something? Normally threads like this get a ton of responses, but I have only gotten 2 guesses so far! I would really like to get more feedback on this, so hopefully some more people can comment.

Comment

Hmmm ... I see something going on with the corners, especially the top two. Is that chipping?

Comment

• strohman
              strohman commented
              Editing a comment
              Come on, Puck That! You didn't answer the question. Guess the grade based on what you see in the scan.
              I used a loupe to examine the card and I don't see any chipping on those corners. They aren't pack fresh, but overall look fairly sharp to me.

• Puck_That
              Puck_That commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm gonna' go with 4 VG-EX.

Hmmm...I may know this card depending on who you got it from, in which case I would know the grade. So I'll stay out of it~!

Comment

• strohman
              strohman commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, this is the same one you are thinking of Hart. You already know the grade.

I didn't post b/c I pretty much agreed with Jim and Boysblue, was thinking something in the 5-6 range. Card presents well.

Comment

PSA 5

Comment

I would have no problem buying a nice card like this example but in the grading business you never know, it has that little divot in it but I would have to say it’s still a least a five!

Comment

And the answer is....PSA 2!
                  When I saw the scan I knew it looked much nicer than a 2. The seller told me that he bought it raw expecting a PSA 6. I looked it over with a loupe and tried to find a crease or wrinkle, but I really can't. Eventually I'm going to crack it out and send it to PSA myself to see if I have any better luck. At the very worse, I can't see this grading any lower than a PSA 4, but I could see it earning a 5 or 6 too. (Unless there is something there that I just can't see.) If it comes back a PSA 2, then I'll just keep it that way. I'm glad that I"m not the only one who thinks this card is seriously undergraded!

Comment

I would not give them the satisfaction of undergrading it again.

Comment

If it's of any consolation, PSA thinks that I'm bad at grading cards too.

Comment

• strohman
                        strohman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ha! I think a lot of us feel that way. My wife doesn't know much about cards, but she has seen a lot of my cards over the year. This summer I sent a big order in to PSA for grading and she told me not to look at the email with the grades but to wait for the package to arrive. When it finally showed up, we sat down together and pulled each card out of the box and tried to guess the grade. (I covered the label with my thumb.) She became very conservative on the grades, but even she complained, "Those graders at PSA must not like you or something!"

• Billyberu
                        Billyberu commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Our wives must be chatting on the side. I told her I had another batch to send in and she said "why you were not happy with the last batch!". My miss grades were 8's instead of 9's though. The other thing that I notice is they always seen to throw in a 10 for a card (that does not deserve it in my opinion) within the lot for every 100 you send in? A way to make you keep coming back I guess.

PSA again looking for re submission so they can add money to there pockets.
                      Thank goodness I grade my own cards by buying them RAW and judging them for myself.

Comment

I know I'm late to the party, but I think the card got a 2 due to the paper loss?? on the right hand side near the bottom. Not sure if it is paper loss or a printing defect, but there is a spot of white where it shouldn't be. However, the card presents extremely well, and I'd be happy to own it.

Comment

Working...
                        X