Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1924 William Patterson

Came across an interesting article.
    A rare overprint in a pre-war hockey card set is not well known The V145 hockey cards are among the more popular pre-war Canadian candy card issues. But while many collectors have heard of it, few could tell you about a rarely seen overprint on the cards. Before we get into the specific overprint, here's…

Nice site, haven't come across it before.
    I have never seen that back stamp before

Comment

New to me too. Thanks for posting. Great article.

Comment

Have a couple of file, Charlie Langlois and Jack Adams. Nothing came of my research, really but I think Beaton's Bars were out of the East Coast of Canada... so I never pursued it further due to lack of research material. Sometimes smaller confectionery companies from the east coast of Canada would deal with companies from Toronto and Montreal and redistribute under their own moniker.

An example, although a later issue, 1962-63 Alex Faulkner Bar, the back has British Confectionery in NL but is only a branch under Toronto's Patterson Chocolate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1962-63 faulkner wrappere.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	6702
        Last edited by Bobbyvhc; 09-20-2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Great info!

Comment

I found one online:

Name:	Punch-Broadbent.jpg?id=8b1462b7-b36c-4bfc-af15-c7bb65cb5f5c&size=zoom.jpeg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	6686

Name:	Punch-Broadbent.jpg?id=8b1462b7-b36c-4bfc-af15-c7bb65cb5f5c&size=zoom&side=back.jpeg
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	6687

Comment

• Bobbyvhc
              Bobbyvhc commented
              Editing a comment
              Amazing how you found that.

thanks for the link.

Comment

Thanks for sharing my link over here - I'm the author of the article and the owner of that website.

The Broadbent posted here is actually mine. I stumbled upon it at COMC earlier this year, bought it, and then wrote that article as the Beaton's Bars cards were not known to me. Despite my best efforts, I could not uncover more information about the company or the promotion. I haven't seen many of these at all.

I'd love to know more about them if anyone happens to discover additional information in the future.

Anson
              Last edited by PreWarCards; 09-20-2018, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know the card sold!

Do you want me to take the scans down?

Comment

Oh, no, not at all. I wasn't offended in the slightest, haha. I just wanted to shed some more light on it and how I found out about the set. Had it not been for that card on COMC, I would never have known about it.

Comment

Working...
                  X