Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set collectors - what’s your strategy?

Which do you favor? Which is more fun?
    Complete the set and then upgrade
    27.27%
    Look for “final” cards
    72.73%

I know there are people that complete and set then upgrade the cards to better condition. Once I get the final cards I am done... I try to look for at least VG though.

Comment

my strategy is pickup bulk lots to gain massive ground against the set, then pick off cards to finish set, then upgrade to the grade level I want.

Comment

I like to start with a minimum percentage of the set before starting the set.I decide on a grade that I will be happy with and build to that condition.
        If I happen to have cards that are in better condition then what I am looking for then I will not use them.I just feel that if I ever part with the set.
        I feel that most buyers are not paying anymore for the set because it has 3 cards that are mint and the other 47 cards are VG.So they might
        as well all be VG.

Comment

I usually decide on a grade that I will be happy with and look for cards that are no lower than that. I don't like to buy filler cards that have to be replaced later since it's wasted money if I'm not satisfied. Depending on the set, I might upgrade cards if the opportunity comes along, but usually once I finish a set I like to move on. If the card I am upgrading is a HOF rookie, then I might be more inclined to do it.

I enjoy building sets, but right now I have a few sets where i need to find or upgrade 1 card for the set to be complete and for all of them I have been at this point for a number of years!

Comment

Well, I guess I’m in the minority!

I think I like completing and then upgrading because:
            1) I get to recieve more cards in the mail
            2) I get to enjoy the complete set longer
            3) I don’t feel compelled to upgrade but can do so if there’s a good deal

Comment

Working...
            X