X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Soviets and their legacy

I was watching a documentary on Netflix called Icarus. The guy doing the documentary was a cyclist and wanted to show how easily doping could be accomplished without getting caught. He was referred to a man in Russia about how to go about this. While the documentary was being shot there was some complications from the Russian government and the Russian contact packed up and left for the U.S. with the producer. It turns out that he was one of the main people involved with the state sponsored doping program that goes back to the 60's. He was in charge of making sure all Russian athletes passed their drug tests. He had countless "GOOD" urine samples to make sure this happens. He said that Russian athletes have been doping longer than any other country. He is now a wanted man in Russia because his cover was blown and it just makes me look at the Russian Hockey teams and just not accept how great they were. Hope you guys have the time to watch it as it's not Hockey related but makes you question everything their Hockey teams have accomplished. Their Hockey teams were full time jobs and the players were hardly ever able to leave the facilities they were staying at. The fact that a Russian curler just failed a drug test recently just goes to show you how big this problem really is with them. I was just blown away at the insight this man gave about how bad it has been.

It’s no wonder people have had such a low opinion of Russians for so many years the way they had no problem with cheating for success in all sports is so sad, the way they poison people to bump them off ,the way they always spyed on other countries just make them hard to like.Thats putting it mildly. I hope I don’t get poisoned for posting this....

Comment

We all knew they cheated, but I wonder how much of an effect that had on a shift. I know it can help a Lance Armstrong type, but I think guys like Chelios and Bourque had great stamina, but it all comes down to how well you could pass, skate, and shoot.

Comment

I would be curious to see the big 5's average ice time. How long their shifts were and if a lot of their goals were scored late in a shift, etc. This would definitely come into play and give them the edge if our players were running out of gas irregardless of passing and shooting.

Comment

You know, I would not be surprised whatsoever about the Russian hockey teams doping over the years. For me, it comes to growing up and seeing Russian teams play in the Olympics which is for amateurs. But then I would get Red Army cards from the Score set and try to look into what these guys were all about. As a kid, this was my first real foray into "non Canadian" (or North American) hockey. But even as a kid, I would wonder how these guys were amateurs and "in the army" when my day, who was also in the army, obviously would never have such an opportunity (or anyone else in the Canadian army for that matter). Clearly I was on the right path since we all know that this was nothing more than a cover to get what was really a pro team into amateur events.

If they were willing to go to such extreme lengths to do things like this, doping (with their science programs behind it) isn't a far jump. In fact, it was the most logical next step.

As would doping help? I believe it would impact things. But unlike individual sports like cycling where it is all on one person, in a team game like hockey, it likely has less to do with the outcome since chemistry and "ice awareness" play such huge roles as part of the larger process.

Comment

Working...
          X