X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you serious?

I know this ended a while back, but I just want to show all of you how nuts Americans are over this one card.

Almost $3,200 USD for that piece of crap and 65 bids - oh man! That's over $4,000 CDN, folks. Just think of all the amazing cards you can buy with that kind of money.

I wouldn't wipe my behind with that card (and I'm being serious here).

Note: Click on the small Mantle icon to see the card.

You should be grateful that there are people like this in the collecting community. Sales like this are a good thing and not a bad thing. That card in a PSA 1 can go for $10K+. This is probably the closest that this buyer will ever get to this card. We all have our goals and some people are nowhere close to the same goal as me or you, but they are buying what makes them happy. Just hope there are people like this that bid on your stuff when you sell.

Comment

Yeah, one mans junk is another mans treasure. We all have different collecting desires and aspirations. What is considered junk to puck_that is gold
      to someone else. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Comment

You have to have an open mind that not everyone can afford a card in better condition so they bid on cards like this.
        I never poke at guys that buy the beat up cards like this as they are needed in the hobby as much as guys that buy high graded PSA cards that can buy a Automobile or sometimes a House instead of the Low grade one that Puck_That shows. Each to there own but we all have the same joy in the hobby whether you are a Low-Mid or High budget person.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheVintageMan View Post
          You have to have an open mind that not everyone can afford a card in better condition so they bid on cards like this.
          I never poke at guys that buy the beat up cards like this as they are needed in the hobby as much as guys that buy high graded PSA cards that can buy a Automobile or sometimes a House instead of the Low grade one that Puck_That shows. Each to there own but we all have the same joy in the hobby whether you are a Low-Mid or High budget person.
          Right. The 52 Topps set is one of the greatest in the hobby and I can’t blame the buyer for trying to find a Mantle s/he can afford.

Comment

Where do we draw the line when it comes to grading? If I give a grading company a burnt up card that is now only 2 centimeters in length, should they encapsulate it or not? I don't think Beckett should have graded that Mantle at all. It was a card, but not anymore. The same goes for this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	6514

By the way, is it just Beckett that is grading this crap or would PSA do it too?

Comment

They graded the card as authentic and altered. What else more do you want? It's in a holder and protected from the elements.

Comment

These grading companies are in the business of making money. Someone desired to have that card authenticated. Beckett provided them a service that a customer paid for. That's business.

Comment

Originally posted by Damir View Post
                  It's in a holder and protected from the elements.
                  Very funny, Damir.

Comment

Working...
                  X