X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooley or Alex?

The 1925-27 Anonymous issue is fascinating & one of a number of the great unsolved mysteries in the hobby. It's also chock full of errors including some unreported ones.

One of these, I believe is the mistaken identity of the "H. SMITH "card (#22 Type-I & #21 Type-II). We have always assumed this was Reginald "Hooley" Smith because the other Smith on the Senators' team was Alex, who already had his own cards (appearing as "A.SMITH" & "Alex SMITH" : 2 versions of #22 Type-II).

Most of us are not lucky enough to own any of these beauties, so it's hardly that important to most collectors, but in the interest of relying on accurate information, I would like to try to make the case that the H.SMITH card actually depicts not the Hall of Famer Hooley but rather journeyman Alex Smith.

I believe the image below supports this idea, because the player on the card shoots left (like Alex but not Hooley) & to me it looks more like Alex as well.

So what do you think - Alex or Hooley?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SmithH-compar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	6484

By the way, the unusual nickname "Hooley" apparently was a contraction for "Hooligan".

Good work! I vote for Alex as well beeing the player pictured on the card

Comment

Undoubtedly Alex Smith.

Comment

Good evidence to support your claim! Looks like Alex to me.
        Hooligan--what a nickname!

Comment

Great work John, Hooley shoots right and Alex shoots left.....so an easy call after that.

Comment

Great find!

Comment

OPC was still confused in the 30s.
              Here is 1933-34 OPC #69 with Hooley's photo but Alex's name AND bio.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1933-34-SmithErr-fb.jpg
Size:	825.7 KB
ID:	6512

Comment

The following year they fixed it. Correct photo, name & bio. Click image for larger version

Name:	1935-36-OPC-76fb-HSmith.jpg
Size:	752.8 KB
ID:	6513

Comment

Working...
                X