X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sets in Binders?

Hello, I was wondering who puts their vintage sets in binders and sheets. I think I am going to put my sets that are in boxes in binders (my OPC run from 1979 to 1991) even 1990-91!!, I just think it would be kind of cool to pull down a binder and view your collection that way. Obviously, if your pre 1980 opc sets are high grade it might not be a good idea, but for those who have low to mid grade, I think it is a good option IMO.

Is there anybody with an OPC run from 1968-69 to present? Are they in binders, boxes? Do you look at your collection often? Are there set collectors who are filling in holes for an OPC 1968 to present run?

Actually this could pertain to people with prewar and 50's -- maybe they are old school and everything is low grade raw instead of graded, and they go the binder route.

The only think I don't like about binders is that the sheets don't stay upright. They tend to slide down and the cards develop a wave to them. I do have some 80's sets in binders, but I like to put valuable cards in a top loader.

Comment

I have my complete run of OPC, topps, parkhurst, etc. in sheets and binders...however I keep my binders lying flat and not upright so cards don't warp/bend...easy to find, pull down off the shelf and look at.

Comment

4 cards left to find in the 51-52's to complete run 51 to 93 or so all brands. Lower mid grade sets in sheets and binders stored flat as stated above. Not taken down and looked at often enough. The four I need for the 51 set are Howe, Richard, Sawchuk and Delvecchio. I will probably find a Delvecchio at some point. I am not sure an affordable option for the other three will pop up for me.

Comment

I have all of the OPC sets, except for 1990-91 and 1991-92 which I gave away several years ago, and several Topps sets from 1968-69 to 1992-93. Most of them are in binders and, yes, I do pull them off the shelf to look at them from time to time. My binders are upright and I check them to make sure that no cards are being adversely affected. My beautiful but ungraded Gretzky and Lemieux rookies are in screwdown holders. My 1966-67 Topps set is in top loaders and the Orr is graded.

Comment

Sounds like some awesome collections! Must be a lot of binders!

Comment

I generally keep my sets in binders, but have used boxes as well. Mostly it depends on what I have available to me and how much storage space I have.
              For example, I did this years UD set into a card box I have, however my grandfathers spare 83-84 OPC set I have been finishing up over the last 2 years, I have kept in the original binders that he gave it to me in.
              I don't find much of a different over either, although I do agree with wjhipwell in that often they can develop a wave, so I try to take extra care. The one advantage to binders is that I find them significantly easier to view the cards with and are more likely to pick up a binder now and then and go through it to enjoy the cards than the boxes (which I mostly fire under the bed in the spare bedroom and forget about.

Comment

All my sets (1969-1992) are in binders. The only way to go. Nothing better than cracking a beer and pulling down the 1972 binder and looking at the three series set with all the inserts and variations. Just keep the binders close to full. Put a couple years together in one binder to keep them semi-full. My only regret was when I put a set of Neilsen Wayne Gretzky cards in a binder only to find out later the sheets were cheap and the cards stuck to them. When I removed the cards, parts of the blue borders stuck to sheets. Use quality sheets.

Comment

• DanTheVintageMan
                  DanTheVintageMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ultra Pro sheets or nothing !!!!
              Working...
              X