X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSA 10 McDavid Rookie card sells for $55,655 USD

Anyone spending this kind of money on modern cards is freaking nuts!

What if this kid blows out his knee next season and can't play at the same level anymore? What if he never wins a cup? Nobody will give a damn about his cards then.

If I had $56,000 USD to spend on cards, then I would just go after postwar key vintage rookies in high grade. What would you do with that kind of money? Would you buy a vintage car? Gold Rolex watch? First edition books?

Connor McDavid led the NHL in scoring this season; now his rookie card is leading the pack as the most expensive in the modern-day era.

I would go for a nice collection of PSA8 1950's RC such as Richard, Howe, Hull, Plante, Orr with that kind of hobby money.

Comment

I agree that the price is ridiculous in my world. I also thought no one would pay $500 million for an NHL franchise, and someone or group did to bring in the Golden Knights. There are a lot of affluent people with lots of play money. This auction/case may be an outlier, but I think these instances are becoming normal course.

Comment

Whoever bought this card must be someone who had money to spend and feels confident that this investment will pay off. That's a risk though.
        Assuming that he stays healthy and has a great career. that's still a lot to pay this early. Crosby's cards were overly expensive before he ever played a single game in the NHL. His cards went up in value but then basically leveled off. (I certainly don't own one and don't ever plan on buying one.)

There are hall of famers whose cards will definitely increase in value, but I'm guessing that the buyer of this card isn't a fan of old time hockey. Someone who wants to invest a lot of money in a modern card usually isn't also interested in vintage cards. Plus, this buyer has convinced himself that McDavid will eventually be the "next Gretzky." He probably assumes that this card will sell for $500K or more in 10 years.

Too much risk!

Comment

Keep in mind that Seattle will probably pay $600 mil because they waited 2 yrs more than Vegas. Québec will never have another franchise, not because of the NHL, but because they cannot afford it. I am getting off topic....
          Last edited by HockeyCollect; 06-08-2018, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck_That View Post
            Anyone spending this kind of money on modern cards is freaking nuts!

What if this kid blows out his knee next season and can't play at the same level anymore? What if he never wins a cup? Nobody will give a damn about his cards then.

If I had $56,000 USD to spend on cards, then I would just go after postwar key vintage rookies in high grade. What would you do with that kind of money? Would you buy a vintage car? Gold Rolex watch? First edition books?
            I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU . SOME PEOPLE HAVE MORE MONEY THAN BRAINS

Comment

This falls on the high risk high reward side of the spectrum. Most vintage cards are low risk low reward.

If he ends up being the LeBron of hockey, this card will double in value.

Not my type of investment, but many people only collect the players they watch and there is no shortage of speculators.

Comment

I think the person who speculated and won was the person who bought this card earlier, and reaped the rewards from this auction.

Comment

Working...
                X