X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superstars prior to Morenz

Finally picked up the book Howie Morenz: Hockey's First Superstar. Clearly Morenz was a "superstar". But equally clearly to me, he wasn't the first. Who else belongs in that category prior to Morenz? No-brainers are Malone and Taylor. Any others? Lalonde maybe? Ross (though I wonder if his off-ice achievements may have grown his legacy/name as much as the on-ice ones)? Vezina? S. Cleghorn?

One probably needs to look at the roster of the Renfrew team for other possibilities.... Then again those great Ottawa teams probably present some candidates. I have always wondered about Marty Walsh too. Then again, who were the superstars on the twenties?

Comment

I often see Taylor referred to as hockey’s first superstar and Vezina as the first superstar goalie. Lalonde has been written about as the Canadiens’ first star, but not necessarily hockey’s overall.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeynutRick View Post
        One probably needs to look at the roster of the Renfrew team for other possibilities.... Then again those great Ottawa teams probably present some candidates. I have always wondered about Marty Walsh too. Then again, who were the superstars on the twenties?
        Morenz played in the 20s. So we're looking prior to that. What would be the arguments for Walsh being a superstar? That's pretty out of left field to me.

Comment

If you haven't already, watch the first or second episode of Hockey- A people's history

Comment

• hart2004
            hart2004 commented
            Editing a comment
            Good series. Also Legends of Hockey is great.

Joe Malone needs to be mentioned here. Just never gets the respect he deserves.

Comment

Episode 2 for anyone that hasn't seen it. 1910-1914

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovjdvX1FH9Y

Comment

My vote is for One-Eyed Frank McGee

Comment

What about Hobey Baker?

Comment

Dan Bain, the Patrick brothers, Frederickson. A lot of good names put forward here.

Comment

Interesting that no mention of Cy Denneny, either Charlie or Lionel Conacher. As far as goalies, Hainsworth has always been intriguing

Comment

Originally posted by HockeynutRick View Post
                      Interesting that no mention of Cy Denneny, either Charlie or Lionel Conacher. As far as goalies, Hainsworth has always been intriguing
                      That’s only because they played during or after Morenz’s career.

Joe Malone, in retrospect, was absolutely one of the best players of his era. But the question as I understand it is whether he was a superstar in the way of Morenz - the face of hockey. And I don’t think he ever was, justly or not.

McGee and Bain are possible, but were they superstars or “just” stars? Baker never played pro, so I’m not sure how well known he was before he died.

If I were to cite a single first superstar, it would be Taylor.

Comment

Working...
                      X