X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show off your favorite card

Let’s see everyone’s favorite PC piece and hear why it’s your favorite.

This is mine:

I read about this card as a kid and wanted one ever since: it’s the rookie card of Georges Vezina himself, the patron saint of goaltenders who played over a century ago! And the artwork and design is so regal and captivating - it’s a miniature work of art; the dots used to give his face depth are like brushstrokes. I couldn’t fathom being alive when Vezina was playing and cards like this came inside cigarette packs.

The example I own now is the third I have held and is undoubtedly my favorite. The centering and registration are perfect, the color is bold, and there are no creases to detract from the image. I imagine that this is the copy I will own for the foreseeable future if not indefinitely.

what does PC piece mean>?

Comment

• Jim
      Jim commented
      Editing a comment
      Old guy question

• Anish
      Anish commented
      Editing a comment
      Personal collection

Originally posted by Anish View Post
    The centering and registration are perfect, the color is bold, and there are no creases to detract from the image. I imagine that this is the copy I will own for the foreseeable future if not indefinitely.
    The centering is not perfect. L/R is about 60/40. Beautiful card though.

Comment

• Anish
      Anish commented
      Editing a comment
      Man, what is wrong with you?

Why not share one of your own cards instead of nitpicking on a card I chose to share?
      Last edited by Anish; 04-19-2018, 12:24 PM.

Originally posted by Anish View Post
    ...it’s a miniature work of art; the dots used to give his face depth are like brushstrokes. I couldn’t fathom being alive when Vezina was playing and cards like this came inside cigarette packs.

...The centering and registration are perfect, the color is bold, and there are no creases to detract from the image.
    Agreed. Beautiful deep dark color, clarity, and registration. Love it.

Comment

As a kid, opening packs in the late 60's and early 70's, this was my favorite card. Why? Because as a goalie, while he's not Glenn Hall (perhaps the greatest ever), it's Terry Sawchuk! But mostly, it's because it's the only card that I opened as a kid that didn't have some fake colored background, or a picture taken in a hallway; it had a real NET!!! I remember thinking at the time that this card was so cool.

Not the most valuable, and not my favorite vintage (I may post later). But as a memory, and the coolness factor of a ten year old, this one card brings the most memories back for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Sawchuk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	6238

Comment

This Hainsworth RC is one of my favorites because it is the highest graded example (there are 8 PSA 4s) without a stamp or hole punch redemption, and it was the final card to complete my set.

Name:	front.JPG
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	6241

Name:	back.JPG
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	6240

Comment

• fhennessy15
          fhennessy15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Tough card to find in any condition. Those 1920's RC's are really undervalued. Great card!

Originally posted by Stampsfan View Post
        As a kid, opening packs in the late 60's and early 70's, this was my favorite card. Why? Because as a goalie, while he's not Glenn Hall (perhaps the greatest ever), it's Terry Sawchuk! But mostly, it's because it's the only card that I opened as a kid that didn't have some fake colored background, or a picture taken in a hallway; it had a real NET!!! I remember thinking at the time that this card was so cool.

Not the most valuable, and not my favorite vintage (I may post later). But as a memory, and the coolness factor of a ten year old, this one card brings the most memories back for me.

Attachment
        I always liked that card and I think I realize now why: the photo background. You’re right in that it’s much more attractive than the background of, say, the Plante card. It’s also cool to see Sawchuk in a “modern” type photo as he is such a mythical figure.

Is that the copy you owned as a kid? I’d definitely value a vintage card I pulled myself very highly!

And, as an aside, Glenn Hall is so underrated. If the Vezina had been given out based on the “best goalie” criteria as opposed to “fewest goals” he’d likely have 7 of them (based on his 7 First Team All-Star nods).

Comment

Originally posted by wjhipwell View Post
          This Hainsworth RC is one of my favorites because it is the highest graded example (there are 8 PSA 4s) without a stamp or hole punch redemption, and it was the final card to complete my set.

Attachment Attachment

That’s an awesome card from an overlooked yet incredibly important set. That Saskatoon team must have been stacked with Cook, Lalonde, and Hainsworth.

Hainsworth might have been the first Pre-War player I heard of after Vezina. His record of 22 shutouts in 44 games (during the Dead Puck Era, yes) always fascinated me as a goalie fan. And of course he was the first to receive the Vezina Trophy.

The copy you have is wonderfully preserved. I especially like that card because it shows Hainsworth in his full equipment and demonstrates how different goalie pads were back then.

Comment

When it comes to favorite cards, I always tend to gravitate towards the ones that have been almost impossible to find centered. The one on the far right has been near impossible to find 50/50. I still don't own the 70 Conn Smythe because I have yet to find it as nicely centered as this 69. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_5925.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	5925

Comment

• Anish
              Anish commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice card and even nicer that it's signed by the Smythe winner

This grey back is also very difficult to find with great centering. It's currently at PSA/DNA. All the vending cards of this issue have the annoying black printers line going down the right hand side.Click image for larger version

Name:	image_5717.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	5717

Comment

• Anish
              Anish commented
              Editing a comment
              Orr doesn't have many cards with nice action shots. This might be the best one?

• exodus
              exodus commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a great point. I'm ashamed to admit that I never thought about it. This is the best action shot when I think of all the others. I love his 74 opc All Star card, but can you call that an action shot ? I guess some would.

I can't figure out how to rotate this image. It's awesome however you look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nordiques View Post
              I can't figure out how to rotate this image. It's awesome however you look at it.
              Here you go my man:

Cool looking card indeed with the black jersey and black background.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

So hard to choose, but I guess I would go with this one.

Name:	Cleghorn.JPG
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	6249

Comment

• Anish
                    Anish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is a tremendous artifact!

Have a few favourites, but the 1954 Howe is at the top for me!

Name:	1954 Topps #8 Gordie Howe PSA 8.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	6127

Comment

• Anish
                    Anish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No surprise there, beautiful example of a classic card!
                Working...
                X