X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite team and "what if".

What if Boston's Bobby Orr's knees were still good from age 28-32 when the Habs won four cups in a row from 1976-1980.
    Would a healthy Orr change those 4 years of hockey history, or were the Habs just that good ?

That's my "what if" for my favorite team. What's yours ?

What if Jets owner beat Oilers owner at backgammon on the plane? #99 is a Jet and the 15 years of trauma without my franchise would never have happened.

Comment

What if Steve Smith pulled his head out of his arse! And Pocklington was not a greedy thief! 7 in a row for the Oilers?

Comment

Originally posted by exodus View Post
      What if Boston's Bobby Orr's knees were still good from age 28-32 when the Habs won four cups in a row from 1976-1980.
      Would a healthy Orr change those 4 years of hockey history, or were the Habs just that good ?

That's my "what if" for my favorite team. What's yours ?
      I don't think Orr's knees were even good before that. His whole career is a what if. I don't think he ever played 100% healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Damir View Post

I don't think Orr's knees were even good before that. His whole career is a what if. I don't think he ever played 100% healthy.
        That is correct. He started having problems as early as the late 60s, but he could still do his thing on the ice. He played very hard though and that obviously made everything worse. However, if he hadn't done that, then the Bruins would probably not have made it to the finals three times under his leadership (and won two of them).

Now here is mine: what if the Maple Leafs had won the 15' NHL Draft and gotten Connor McDavid? Yes, yes, I know if that had happened, then we wouldn't have Mitch Marner and Auston Matthews today, but McDavid is the best hockey player in the world. When I watch him perform on TV, my jaw just hits the floor. He is perfect. The guy can just take off like a rocket and leave the others way behind; he has amazing hands; reads the ice well; times everything perfectly; amazing stamina; has patience; no temper, etc. I would take him over anyone. Now the only problem would be this: who would the Leafs place on his line? The Oilers have been trying to come up with a solution all season long and have failed miserably. Anyhow, it would have been crazy to have him here.

Comment

• Stampsfan
          Stampsfan commented
          Editing a comment
          Seeing him live is incredible... the speed, and the things he can do at that speed is something I've never seen.

When he goes to the outside, there may not be a defenceman in the league that can catch him, or even cut him off.

I have to pinch myself sometimes to realize I get to watch him play every game...whether on TV or live. He is something to behold. When he gets five he should have had 8 points.

Here is another one. What is the Oilers moved up two spots to #2 in the 2016 draft (do not want to be too greedy and deprive leafs nation) and got Laine. Laine scores 60+ goals as McDavid would feed him all night. I look at what Conner had on wing all year as Puck mentions and it was nothing. McDavid gets 130-140 points this year with a winger that can finish. It took McLelland 70 games to find Nugent-Hopkins who was right under his nose and the fans told him as much. Now they just need a sniper.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyberu View Post
          When he gets five he should have had 8 points.
          McDavid has a "pass first" mentality, but he still got 41 goals this season. If he was selfish, he could easily get 60+

Comment

• Billyberu
            Billyberu commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes his first pass mentality was actually an issue early on but his 41 goals came as he realized half way through the season that he does not have winger that could put the puck in the net (with many nudges by the coaching staff I am sure). I agree that 60 would have been possible. Imagine how many next year if he continues to shoot next season?

What if the late 90s Buffalo Sabres actually had scoring talent or any player on the team other than Dominik Hasek? I'm sure they would have brought home several Stanley Cups, instead of trying to win every game 1 - 0.

Comment

• Anish
            Anish commented
            Editing a comment
            And Hasek would be be considered the GOAT without question

What if.......the Maple Leaf hierarchy had not been so arrogant in the early '60s. Had they taken the time and effort to pursue a young Bobby Orr as advised he would almost certainly have signed with Toronto. Instead Wren Blair and the Bruins--who were lousy then--swept in and signed him. Or what if the same arrogant Leaf brass had pursued a young Brad Park a couple of years later. Apparently he was desperate to join the Maple Leaf organization, but they gave him the bum's rush. Boneheads!

Comment

Locally I often wondered what if the Sens had not drafted Yashin and properly handled/developed Daigle?

Growing up a Pens fan however, I always wondered what if Mario took things seriously from day one and practiced regularly (instead of after playing with Grez a few years later) in the same way players look after themselves in today's game?
            And while I am at it, what if he never had back spasms or Hodgkin's disease and played at least 75 games in 92-93? Would he have continued his pace and beat Wayne's records?

Comment

Originally posted by exodus View Post
              Along with the wins in 1970 and 72, the Bruins could have/should have won the Cup in 1969, 71 (definitely!) and 74 with Orr. They would have won at least a couple more with him from 1976 to 83 and maybe beyond. With good health, Orr could have conceivably played until the mid to late 80s. They had so many excellent teams from 1968-69 to 93-94 that two Cups was and is a major disappointment.

I have always wondered what Bobby and the Bruins could have accomplished if Orr could have played with Brad Park and then Ray Bourque? Bobby had 18 points on 5 goals and 13 assists in the 10 games he played with Park in 1975-76. Sigh...

Comment

What if the Jets returned to Winnipeg, kept the name, and became a good team? Don't pinch me...

Comment

• JohnH19
                  JohnH19 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Hart! Things are pretty crazy here in the Peg. I was at Game 1 and Jets fever is running wild! I'm dreaming the not-so-impossible dream of a Jets - Bruins Final.

As a Long suffering Canucks fan I have a couple of what if's.

What if they got first pick in the 1970 draft? Gilbert Perreault instead of Dale Tallon.

What if in 1990 instead of taking Peter Nedved, they took they took Jaromir Jagr?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH19 View Post
                  Hey Hart! Things are pretty crazy here in the Peg. I was at Game 1 and Jets fever is running wild! I'm dreaming the not-so-impossible dream of a Jets - Bruins Final.
                  Awesome!!

Comment

• hart2004
                    hart2004 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I actually watched game 1 twice lol
                Working...
                X