X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your least favorite design.

I'm not a big fan of the 71 o-pee-chee. I like to call it the easter egg set because of the oval circles the players are imprisoned in..
    Having said that, the Orr double trophy card is one of my favorite cards of all time. The wrapper is pretty cool too.

I nominate the 1962 Topps set. Boring photos, bland design, recycled photos, no real key cards, only half the league (and doesn't include the best two teams). When the most important card in the set is a checklist, that's a good sign it's a dud.

Comment

The 1951 Parkies is the most UGLIEST set ever made, period! They were printed on cheap paper stock, are very small, have blank backs, very little colors, serious registration problems, centering problems, etc.

Comment

The 1972 Team Canada inserts with the floating heads.

Comment

• clarke442
          clarke442 commented
          Editing a comment
          These are so ugly they are cool.
          Plus they have "Uncle" Bobby in the set.

80-81 and 81-82. Drab washed out colors, and grainy photos.

Comment

Interesting how different peoples' tastes are. I really like 1962 Topps, think 1951 Parkhurst is interesting looking and half like it, and like 1971 a fair bit too. I dislike 1969, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, and 1980 designs. I like most of the 1950s and 60s designs a lot, but not 1958 or 1959 Parkhurst, or 1959 Topps. Pre-war World Wide Gum cards don't do too much for me either, unless they are really clean and high grade. And here's the crazy one: 1964 Tallboys? Meh. They don't do much for me. I know I'm practically alone on that one!

Comment

• exodus
            exodus commented
            Editing a comment
            I dislike the tall boys, and the tv sets the year after too.

• clarke442
            clarke442 commented
            Editing a comment
            My dislike for the tall boys is that you have a larger card and mostly head shots.
            Imagine horizontal actions shots or at least full body poses.
            My 2 cents...Thank you

I also dislike the tall boys. But as I get older and my eyesight deteriorates I may grown to like them.

Comment

Originally posted by HowieMorenz7 View Post
            I also dislike the tall boys. But as I get older and my eyesight deteriorates I may grown to like them.
            hahaha awesome

Comment

Originally posted by exodus View Post
              I dislike the tall boys, and the tv sets the year after too.
              And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the first time in my 42 years I've heard someone slag the design of 1966 Topps (two years after Tallboys, exodus). But to each their own! I think they're stunning!

Comment

Originally posted by hart2004 View Post

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the first time in my 42 years I've heard someone slag the design of 1966 Topps (two years after Tallboys, exodus). But to each their own! I think they're stunning!
                I was born in 1965 and I like the 65 Topps hockey set. You see, as you get older, you make many of these blunders, like saying the tv set came after the tall boys, and learn to laugh at yourself. I actually may also be one of the only people who collect Bobby Orr that refuses to own his rookie. I once owned one, but the more and more I looked at the card, the more I disliked it. I really prefer his General Mills and 1967 Topps issues much better than his rookie, but I know I'm in the minority on that one too. I once got this signed by Bobby, and then decided two years later that I didn't like having it in my collection. Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	6190

Comment

• JohnH19
                  JohnH19 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "I once got this signed by Bobby, and then decided two years later that I didn't like having it in my collection."

Words I never thought I'd see regarding an Orr rookie, never mind an autographed test rookie.

1973-74 Topps are boot ugly, and I have never been a fan of 1981-82 OPC either.

Comment

• hart2004
                  hart2004 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And here we go again with personal preference ruling the day! I don’t buy 1968-present Topps but made a rare exception for 1973 Topps because I love the blue and yellow cards which are unavailable in the Christmas (OPC green and red) version. To each his own!
                  Last edited by hart2004; 04-03-2018, 07:18 PM.

My top 3, in order of ugliness:
                1. 1972 OPC
                2. 1969 OPC
                3. 1962 Topps

Comment

1963 Topps

Comment

1973-74 OPC is a very dull and drab set. The corresponding Topps set is much nicer with glossier cards and the additional yellow and blue backgrounds.
                    1969-70 OPC is also quite unattractive.
                    I'm also not crazy about the 1967-68 Topps set.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH19 View Post
                      "I once got this signed by Bobby, and then decided two years later that I didn't like having it in my collection."

Words I never thought I'd see regarding an Orr rookie, never mind an autographed test rookie.
                      "You said you didn't give a f*&! about hockey, and I never heard someone say that before." That Hip lyric went thru my head when I read that original post!

Comment

Working...
                      X