X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to sell a major card

What's the best way to sell a major card. I'm referring to cards like a top grade 1966 Orr, 1951 Howe, c55 Vezina, etc. I suspect you won't get top dollar on eBay, but you pay a substantial amount to consign on a place like Heritage Auctions. Any thoughts on the best way to maximize the return on one of the top cards in the hobby if you're lucky enough to be in a position to sell (Sadly I don't have one, I'm just asking for curiosity sake).

PWCC will get more than most auction houses and they take less than all auction houses take with the premium. Bidders will bid higher knowing there is no buyers fee which is 20% at auction houses.

Comment

I agree. I have done well using PWCC. I have a few cards in their next auction (1 hockey / 2 boxing).

Comment

Why not try the BST here first?

Comment

• gtmc88
          gtmc88 commented
          Editing a comment
          Because 90% of everyone on here want everything for nothing. For a 500$ card on PWCC the offer here is $125.
          Not even worth the effort or aggravation

• Jim
          Jim commented
          Editing a comment
          Is that the kind of offers that you make jeremy? No one has made me an offer like that

• gtmc88
          gtmc88 commented
          Editing a comment
          Not you Jim, and others are very good on here. But some dealings I’ve done is painful. Chisel , chisel , chisel.
          They know who they are . Lol
          I don’t believe I’ve ever offered or bought anything on here. Not that I remember anyway.

best way?----CASH!

Comment

Originally posted by skelly423 View Post
          I suspect you won't get top dollar on eBay,
          Um, yes you will. And you want to know something else? You can get top dollar YOURSELF. I do it all the time. All you have to do is be honest with what you're selling. So start by listing the qualities of the card; and then point out the flaws - buyers really like that. And of course, large clear scans are a must.

Comment

• topnotchcollectible.com
            Editing a comment
            perfectly said - my friend

• DanTheVintageMan
            DanTheVintageMan commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with Puck_That never had a problem moving anything on eBay myself, Honesty on eBay goes a long way on getting top bids but eBay is getting costly for the end profit. I now move most of my stuff through Facebook Groups as there are way more people on there then Web Forum Groups and many Facebook users don't even buy from eBay, believe it or not Facebook is my number one selling tool I have and there are ZERO costs. On occasion I'll submit a special card to PWCC and Classic Auctions for bulky Oddball pieces.

Originally posted by DanTheVintageMan View Post
          I agree with Puck_That never had a problem moving anything on eBay myself, Honesty on eBay goes a long way on getting top bids but eBay is getting costly for the end profit. I now move most of my stuff through Facebook Groups as there are way more people on there then Web Forum Groups and many Facebook users don't even buy from eBay, believe it or not Facebook is my number one selling tool I have and there are ZERO costs. On occasion I'll submit a special card to PWCC and Classic Auctions for bulky Oddball pieces.
          Can you tell us some of these groups? I'm interested. Thanks.

Comment

• DanTheVintageMan
            Editing a comment
            Forgot to mention that on occasion I do sell some stuff in the BST area right here on this forum, which is a bonus to always try.

Originally posted by hart2004 View Post

Can you tell us some of these groups? I'm interested. Thanks.
          Don't want to post links here as I don't think it is allowed so PM me or Email me in private.

Comment

I have also sold some stuff on a couple of Facebook groups. I have had more luck selling raw cards. A lot of the guys I have met are interested in mid grade to ExMint stuff. This is the same group Danny is referring to but I have sold off some stuff that I had sitting around and didn't know what to do with.

I think the OP was referring to a high dollar card. That can be tough since you know you want to get top dollar if possible. I used to love eBay but the fees are just too much. I'm spoiled by the way eBay used to be. Modest fees and lots of bidders!

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheVintageMan View Post

Don't want to post links here as I don't think it is allowed so PM me or Email me in private.
              Having issues with private messaging - can you email me?
              vintagehockey@bellaliant.net
              Thanks,
              Hart

Comment

• Stampsfan
                Stampsfan commented
                Editing a comment
                I too am having trouble with PM's. Hart, I sent you one a few days ago but now I have no record of it. I was sober too....

Dan, could you let me know the groups you sell on too, please?
                Bob.Davies@Safe4life.ca

Thanks...

The question was "how do you sell a major card" .
              Doing it yourself on ebay works very well with buy it nows.
              Facebook groups are still in the cute phase, atleast to me.
              No frickin way am I sending 5-10 thousand dollars for a card to someone on facebook.

I do very well with ebay auctions but am still more comfortable selling big ticket cards through pwcc. There do appear to be bidders that only follow their auctions and it somehow ends up cheaper than doing it myself.

Comment

The problem with Facebook is that it is too fragmented. There are hundreds of different card groups on there - which one do you join? Also, I find that most members who sign up are not really collectors. In other words, they don't own any vintage cards, nor do they know much about them. Try posting a picture of the 1967 Topps #92 Bobby Orr card on one of these groups and you'll get questions like "is that his RC?" I don't get much fun from being around people like that.

Comment

• DanTheVintageMan
                  Editing a comment
                  It's all about being in the right groups and not wrong groups, the same goes for the internet groups outside Facebook. I'll I am saying is it is good to use Facebook as another tool to sell outside of eBay etc... honestly if you don't use it you are loosing out on some potential sales IMO Ranjodh you already know this as you are part of these groups yourself, some good some bad. I run a Group on one particular car model and people thought it would be a joke, 8 years later I have over 30,000 members and it has opened doors to my business by 500% making it a full time business for me, last year was my busiest year ever generating lots of sales and services for me. I have met some wonderful people because of this group. Never say never, if you market and put good work into anything you'll be surprised of the rewards you get if it is Facebook or any other Forum.

Most dealers have a client list that may pay more for some items so that is always an option. Consignment deals are great for seller and dealer.

Comment

Working...
                X