Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the first pack of cards you ever bought?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1972 OPC for me, my mom would give me a $1 dollar bill which I would roll up and hold so tight in my hand as I walked to the corner store What a great feeling it was to buy 10 packs of cards, 10 bubble gums in my mouth and a great bunch of cards. Still got the cards, ate all the gum and wish I kept the wrappers Great memories

Comment

1969-70 OPC. I also remember going with my grandfather to fill up with gas at Esso in 1970. Would get a stack of Power Players. He knew the guy.

Comment

1968 opc, all the way up to 1974 OPC, I bought as many packs I could,,I was just 7 years old, I used to find pop bottles and milk jugs and take them back to the store for refunds..whatever money I got back from the bottles, I used to buy hockey cards..I used to shovel driveways in the winter to make extra cash to buy cards, I delivered newspapers to buy cards..I would then spend hours trading with my friends, picking up my favourite players.Once the trades were completed we would go to the school yard to play topsy's, competing to acquire the largest stack of cards..I would wrap my stack of cards in an elastic band and put any cards I didn't like in the spokes of my bicycle and drive my bike home..Once I went to university later in my life, my mother did me a favour cleaning out my closet full of hockey cards stored in shoe boxes disposing of them at the local garbage dump.I have recently spent the last 10 years or so of my spare time rebuilding all of those lost memories one card at a time..It has been a gratifying journey with my cardboard memories..

Comment

It was 1971/72 OPC for me.. While I believe this pre-dates the concept of the rookie card, I do remember the Guy Lafleur card being highly desirable and difficult to acquire.
          Like Paul, the returning of bottles, shoveling driveways and weekly 50 cent allowance went mostly to cards. Reaching into that box on the store counter and grabbing a few packs was a hell of a high. Also remember buying early CFL football cards as well.
          Last edited by rob-star; 02-25-2018, 10:54 PM.

Comment

1984-85 OPC hockey for me. Living near Boston I remember being slightly disappointed that they weren't Topps packs instead.

I took my kids for the first time to a card shop on a rainy day last Sunday. My son was happy to get his first pack of UD hockey. Some of the kids in his 1st grade trade Pokemon and sports cards, usually football but he picked hockey with no pressure from me. I was around the same age as he is when I got my first cards.

My daughter talked me into buying a Patriots team set. As I hadn't really set foot in a sports card shop and have no real knowledge of packs since the mid 90's it was a little intimidating how many packs were for sale. I bought a binder and some sheets to hold the cards and it was money well spent on a day where we were stuck inside.

Comment

• Stampsfan
              Stampsfan commented
              Editing a comment
              Very cool. I did the same thing with my girls, who both played. It was a McDonald's trip after early morning practice, and a pack of cards for them.

It was the 1969 OPC for me.... a classic set.... and I still have the cards....

also collected baseball ...... baseball would release the first and second series early.... then wait weeks before the others series would be released.... which made it very tough to complete the baseball sets..... opening packs was special.....

who can forget the non sports cards..... Man on the Moon, Planet of the Apes, Batman, Green Hornet, Mod Squad, Tarzan etc..... we collected them all.... great memories.....

Comment

• Stampsfan
              Stampsfan commented
              Editing a comment
              "who can forget the non sports cards..... Man on the Moon, Planet of the Apes, Batman, Green Hornet, Mod Squad, Tarzan etc..... we collected them all.... great memories...."

+1 to that, sir. Add in Laugh-In and Philadelphia War Bulletin.

I still love looking at those too. Still missing four OPC Planet of the Apes cards to complete the set I started in the 60's.

Originally posted by ds1961ds View Post
            It was the 1969 OPC for me.... a classic set.... and I still have the cards....

also collected baseball ...... baseball would release the first and second series early.... then wait weeks before the others series would be released.... which made it very tough to complete the baseball sets..... opening packs was special.....

who can forget the non sports cards..... Man on the Moon, Planet of the Apes, Batman, Green Hornet, Mod Squad, Tarzan etc..... we collected them all.... great memories.....

Wacky Packages were really big down here in the states. I believe they were in Canada, but not sure if Topps or OPC released them.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	dupe-107-HullAS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	6027

I guess I'm older than the rest of you. The first hockey cards I bought at a store were the Tall Boys. Still have them, and I still remember how excited I was to get this one.

Comment

1981-82 OPC Hockey. 6 years old.
                Here's the Gretzky.

Attached Files
                Last edited by daveweir; 03-04-2018, 07:58 PM.

Comment

1972-73 OPC

Comment

I bought 2 or 3 packs of 1986-87 O-Pee-Chee (still have them), but I was mostly into stickers back then. I really started buying more cards starting with 1988-89 O-Pee-Chee.

Comment

1987 Topps. Looking for a Hextall. My best friend told me about how good Mario Lem-yuks, as I pronounced then, was really really good. My local card shop had tons of 1984 Topps and OPC for 35 cents a pack. I bought a lot of OPC’s because there were 3 more cards and they were wax packs. Didn’t like the 84 Topps plastic packs.

Comment

1969/70 OPC. I still have all my sets from then on. Except for a few of the checklists, because why would you need more than one and once they were filled out there was no reason to keep them. Whoops!
                        I would keep 1 of each card and use them to keep track of player movement. The rest I would trade or play games with at school. I also have some older ones from the previous years, just not sure if I bought them or where they came from.

Comment

I'm not absolutely certain that they were the first hockey packs I bought but I know that I purchased some 71-72 OPC packs since I completed that set.

Comment

1970 at a corner store in Vancouver at 49th and Main street.....store was called Bings

Comment

Working...
                            X