Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the first pack of cards you ever bought?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the first pack of cards you ever bought?

We all started collecting somewhere, and for most of us it would have been a series from our childhood. For me, the first pack of cards I ever bought was the 1991-92 Pro Set Platinum. I remember my disappointment in discovering the names were in cursive (which I couldn't read), and I had to guess who the player was on the front of the card.

Hmmm...my first pack of cards were 1968 Topps Baseball (at 7yo) and then for hockey it was 1971 OPC (at 10yo). And yes I put them in spokes in my bike FFS!!

Comment

First pack....think it was 1977-78 OPC, about 6-7 years old. First collectible memory was when I was 4, Loblaws stickers and album, loved them.

Comment

1995-96 Upper Deck Collectors Choice. I loved those Platinum Players Club parallels.
        Last edited by AANVJeff; 02-22-2018, 11:16 PM.

Comment

First cards i remember having are 74-75 opc

Comment

1970-71 OPC..... I was really hoping to find an Orr card.

Comment

79-80 OPC at the Avondale Store

Comment

1967/68 Topps Hockey, and 1968 OPC Baseball. I remember getting a quarter from my mom, and I could buy five packs.

I must have also opened different series of 1966 Batman cards, as I have many of them from my childhood collection too.

Comment

1982 opc.

Comment

1966-67 Topps. My brother and I went to the store and I bought cards and he bought a bag of bee-bees (no idea why, but we were just little kids). I remember it like it was yesterday.

Comment

• Anish
                      Anish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Man, I can't imagine opening 66 Topps

My older brother had a huge bunch of 71's and 72's. My first pack had to be 1972. Tried to fit six or seven pieces of gum in my mouth. Tried that trick only once, after the sugar rush decided to never try it again.

Comment

Bunch of stuff from the early 2000's. Victory, MVP, Pacific, and my favorite - Topps Gold Label. Loved the shininess

Comment

1973 OPC at the corner store. But the 1974 OPC set was the first one I ever completed.
                        I remember trading cards with my friends in the neighborhood.

A good souvenir was to fly the cards with the snap of the wrist on the two standing cards at the bottom of the wall in order
                        to make them drop and win the jackpot! I was pretty good at it. I still have a bunch of creased cards from those years and
                        some wrappers. Unfortunately, no unopened pack, the gum was too good!

Comment

We used to flip cards. One versus one. Someone called odds, the other person got evens. If the cards both landed fronts only, it was evens. If the cards landed one side front, one side back, that was odds. If the cards landed both sides back, that was evens also. We damaged quite a few cards that way I remember doing this during recess on the school yard playground with 1975's.

Comment

• daveweir
                            daveweir commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I played Flips with my buddies too. Usually only with doubles. It gone banned from my Grade 7 class because one kid lost all his cards and whined to the teacher!

Flips did some damage, but nothing compared to Knock-Downs! Line the cards up against the base of a wall, then whip other cards at them to see who could knock the most down. So long, corners!

Hi folks, have been wanting to participate here for some time now, but my uncertain collecting future has been causing me to hold back...probably not a good reason eh?! Anyways, no better topic than this one to jump in on I guess? I have very fond memories of walking by myself (grade 1 age?) down to the corner store in Crawford Park/ Verdun, QC. to go and purchase my first hockey card packs...71-72 OPC! In fact one of my heartbreak collecting stories is tied in...despite being so young, I can still remember my mom interrupting a trade on my school bus, as she was seeing an older kid trying to anxiously trade me a Sabre's player, for my recently acquired Ken Dryden rookie! Of course neither my mom or I knew at the time, what a horrible trade that was...but for some reason...I still remember it! Prob. because it bothers me to this day?! The other horror story tied in, is remembering an older neighbor girl, who had her 1970-71 Habs cards thumb tacked on her corkboard in her room...I was in awe of those cards at the time, and had no idea of what she had done to them?!!! Older & wiser now eh?!!

Comment

Working...
                          X