X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you collecting?

I have an idea of what some of you collect (a certain Morenz collector, a Richard collector, and a couple Orr collectors come to mind), but what about everyone else?

I am collecting the C55 and 1923 Paterson sets. Just looking to upgrade them at this point (and add Corbeau if ever possible). In my opinion they are the two greatest and most important hockey card sets.

As a side project, I also acquire 1939 OPC HOF RC's when I can. I think a partial set of 10 of these would be nice (but a complete set of 100 would be too cumbersome).

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

I'm a set collector, and I stop at 1992-93. I've got a few pre-war sets done, including C55, C56 and 23-24 Selkirks. Most recently I completed 1939-40 OPC. Right now I am finishing up 1940-41 OPC (I need 4 more) and 1933-34 Ice Kings (I need about 25%). I've tackled most Topps, OPC & Parkhurst from 51-52 thru 92-93, but still need (and haven't started) 3 Parkhurst sets: 53-54, 55-56 & 57-58.

Slightly off the mainstream, I need one more card (#18 Laliberte) to finish 51-52 bas du fleuve, 5 more cards to finish 52-53 bas du fleuve, ~25 cards to finish 52-53 Juniors Blue Tint, and I'm about 1/3 way through 52-53 B&D (Laval Dairy) Update and 2/3 way through 24-25 Dominion Chocolate (just the hockey). I'm also always on the hunt for the 3 cards I need to finish up 36-37 Providence Reds (Byrne, Dumart & Pusie).

I'm basically all over the place, which means I can always find something new to pick up or a set to start:-)
    Last edited by wjhipwell; 01-16-2018, 06:35 PM.

Comment

I'm all over the map. I love the c55 set, but am only two cards in. I'd like to complete the set, but I've made aborted attempts at other collections in the past, so who knows if I'll see this one through to completion.

I have a few sets from the early 90s when I grew up (I know it's not in the scope of this forum, but if you're into tacky cards, check out the 1994 be a player hockey set; it's simultaneously the best and worst set ever made). I also have some one-off HOF rookies (Bower, Beliveau) and autographs (Schmidt, Kennedy Lindsay, etc.).

In addition to the cards, I collect coins, antique maps and globes, postcards.

Comment

Like wjhipwell, I am a set collector too, stopping at 90-91 for hockey. Mostly the mainstream stuff. I pretty much have a start on every set back to 1910, many complete, and a few barely started. One of my issues is I have most of the 60's and 70's complete. However, when I do complete them, I tend go back and want to continually upgrade. Therefore it never ends.

For CFL football, pretty much everything back to 1958 is done, including the Jogo sets. Trying to build a master 1962 Topps CFL set with every panel. And of course, upgrading everything else. I'd like to try and "tackle" the 1954 Blue RIbbon set, but the price point entry for one card at a time is tough for me to justify at the moment.

1960's non sport sets are a favorite too, along with some select comic books.
        Last edited by Stampsfan; 01-24-2018, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• Hendu
          Hendu commented
          Editing a comment
          Love the 1954 Blue Ribbon CFL!!
          Have 72 different in pretty nice shape (non-graded!!) inc. HOF'ers Johnny Bright (yes, Calgary) and Sam "The Rifle" Etcheverry

• Stampsfan
          Stampsfan commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought you might, John.
          72, you'd be pretty close to a complete set. Nice!!

I collect hockey, baseball and a little basketball so I'm all over the place! The only specific areas I focus on would be my Bobby Orr and postcard collections. Here's my collection as of today, it's always changing! http://imageevent.com/jeffintoronto
        Last edited by jb217676; 01-17-2018, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• Jim Dixon
          Jim Dixon commented
          Editing a comment
          One Hell of a website -- the hockey postcards are awesome!!

• postcardguy
          postcardguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Hockey postcards are great; I have a few of them - my collection is over 100 in number and counting. Always looking if anyone has some for sale.

I used to think I was the only one who couldn't focus on one thing at a time in terms of cards.
        I have a few sets that need 1 or 2 cards to be complete--1933 OPC Series A, 1954 Topps, 1969 OPC, 1974 WHA... Plus I still need a few 1934 Silver Diamond Matchbooks.

I'm starting the 1933 OPC B series set and I want to finally start working on the 1923 William Patterson. I have a few 1939 OPC cards and would like to add more of those and I really want to work on the Champion and Triumph Postcard sets. I'm working on a high grade 1980 Topps set and I'm 85% finished, but the cards that I need are getting tough. I need something easier to work on so I don't have to wait so long to find something!

Comment

I collect wax hockey wrappers and Habs gamer pucks these days and things that I like such as assorted hockey ephemera.

Comment

Originally posted by Anish View Post
            I have an idea of what some of you collect (a certain Morenz collector, a Richard collector, and a couple Orr collectors come to mind), but what about everyone else?

I am collecting the C55 and 1923 Paterson sets. Just looking to upgrade them at this point (and add Corbeau if ever possible). In my opinion they are the two greatest and most important hockey card sets.

As a side project, I also acquire 1939 OPC HOF RC's when I can. I think a partial set of 10 of these would be nice (but a complete set of 100 would be too cumbersome).

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!
            Hey Anish--Do you have any doubles from 1923 William Patterson?

Comment

I primarily collect Chicago Blackhawks game worn jerseys (last count somewhere over 100), goal scored pucks and game footage (have over 2,000 Hawks games on DVD). I'm also related to George 'Red' Sullivan and try to pick up any high grade cards of his or other memorabilia.

Comment

• hart2004
                hart2004 commented
                Editing a comment
                Over a hundred game-worn Blackhawk jerseys?! That's amazing.

• Sulli26
                Sulli26 commented
                Editing a comment
                It's a lot of old dirty laundry, LOL. Nice part is you don't have to worry about dropping one and putting a ding in a corner! 100+ jerseys take up a lot more room than 100 graded cards though...

Esso Power Player stuff. Cards 1968- 81. Basic stuff actually.

Comment

Any early Canadian sports celluloid items. Pinbacks, Advertising mirrors, celluloid booklets, .....

Comment

I used to have a very rare baseball card and boxing card collection, but sold most of these off over the years (some very recently). Now I focus on the Boston Sports Teams (Red Sox, Bruins, Patriots, Celtics), with a clear focus on the Bruins. I try to get the earliest card or photo of Hall of Famers and Major Stars who played for at least 2 full seasons for the Bruins. Also trying to get every Eddie Shore photographic card.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/index...lection/Abaran

Comment

As the "postcardguy" I love the old/early hockey and lacrosse postcards (also golf). Love Maple Leaf stuff - collect all Frank Mahovlich cards and related material - he was my idol growing up. Collect 1957-58 and 1963-64 Parkhurst Leafs only. Also a large collection of CHUM charts. Autographs also in my collection; from Ali to Mantle and hockey stars. Have a collection of signed hockey jerseys: Orr, Gretzky, Crosby, Lafleur, Stamkos - players I admire. I'll get around to posting some photos.

Comment

I am working on the C55 and C57 sets. C55 is PSA 5 or better and C57 in any grade. Also working on several Set Registries like 1000 Point Men, HOF, 500 Goals, 300 Wins and a few more. My C55 set is at 58% (26/45) and C57 is at 24% (12/50). My C56 set has been complete for several years now.

Comment

Wrappers, wrappers, and more wrappers. Who has a 58-59 they want to sell me? LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X