X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cup

Nope, not the Stanley Cup, but the Upper Deck product.

I know it is not vintage but hopefully Jim won't be too bothered if I ask the community how boxes or a case (or whatever these cards come in) is acquired and what the cost is. Had planned on starting the New Year with a small investment in marijuana but did not get around to it, and it appears prices have subsequently spiked, so I may have missed the boat on that one. Similarly, my cryptocurrency of choice (Ethereum) has doubled since my brother told me of his hunch at Christmas time--got busy with things and missed that one too.

Anyway, what better way to "speculate" than with hockey cards--might pull a Matthews rookie or some Gretzky 1/1, or something similarly valuable. And if it goes sideways and I get some unknown fifth-round draft pick with no NHL future or some patch card of Eric Staal then there goes my investment.....up in marijuana smoke. Most importantly, my wife has given me the go-ahead.
    Last edited by boysblue; 01-13-2018, 11:13 AM.

All good choices but you may want to consult with an investment advisor .......

Comment

This strategy is gambling. But if it's just for fun, then do whatever makes you happy.

Comment

Originally posted by boysblue View Post
        And if it goes sideways and I get some unknown fifth-round draft pick with no NHL future or some patch card of Eric Staal then there goes my investment.....up in marijuana smoke.
        And that's what will happen.

Comment

• hart2004
          hart2004 commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree with Puck_That and AANVJeff o be honest.

All good choices but you may want to consult with an investment advisor .......

Advisor consulted with Jim--all good.

This strategy is gambling. But if it's just for fun, then do whatever makes you happy.

Thank you sir. I wonder--seriously--what would happen if somebody bought X amount of a crypotcurrency, the same amount of a marijuana stock and the same amount of an unopened product (and then sold each and every card). Where would one stand financially with each of the three twelve months from now? Obviously an impossible question to answer at the moment as all three are gambles, but I wonder if the unopened product is any worse a gamble than the other two.

Comment

If it's purely for investment, why not the best condition PSA Orr or Howe you can afford? Whether a 1 or 8, those seem like great investments to me. That said, you could probably get similar quality investment advice from the folks behind the counter asking you if want fries with that, so take my advice - and the fries - with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Billyberu
            Billyberu commented
            Editing a comment
            Or what type of Dorito's do you want with that....

I don't fully understand cryptocurrency but do understand that when something like this becomes a mania and hits the main stream, many tears follow.

Marijuana will be fine in the long term if you can pick a winner in a very crowded field, avoid the minefield of bogus companies ,stomach high volatility and either hold through a major correction or preferably buy after.

Holding sealed product with a strong rookie crop has usually done ok. You may not make much but the more sought after product seems to atleast hold value.

The opinions above are not meant to be taken as financial advice. Please consult with a professional to find a plan that's right for you

Comment

1 million dollars worth of TD Bank stock bought in the early 80's is worth $110 000 000 now. 110 times your money

A 1981 Opc box purchased for $12 in 1981 is worth around $3500 today. 291 times your money .

I have to go talk to my wife about her rrsp now

Comment

• exodus
              exodus commented
              Editing a comment
              Jim hit the nail on the head. Most millionaires will only invest in quality companies or cards. They will buy the Orr's, the Mantle's, the Ruth's and Gehrig's. They will not buy the patch cards or 1/1's. Millionaires will most likely stay away from crypto and stick with solid US companies like Apple, IBM, Chevron, 3M, Google, and others. It's safer to put one's hard earned money into something a little more secure.

• woodenstickera
              woodenstickera commented
              Editing a comment
              Sure but the biggest winners are those that bought into those unknown companies on the ground floor.

Originally posted by hart2004 View Post
            If it's purely for investment, why not the best condition PSA Orr or Howe you can afford? Whether a 1 or 8, those seem like great investments to me. That said, you could probably get similar quality investment advice from the folks behind the counter asking you if want fries with that, so take my advice - and the fries - with a grain of salt.
            With marijuana basically legalized, fries would be a good investment

Comment

• hart2004
              hart2004 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha @ Jim. Truth.

• HowieMorenz7
              HowieMorenz7 commented
              Editing a comment
              and possibly PIZZA

If I ever bought something like The Cup, I wouldn't open it. It's basically an expensive scratch off lottery ticket. Once you open it, you know right away if you hit a winner or and expensive dud. I don't think that people are putting this set together so I don't know what you would do with a card that wasn't a star or rookie. I would put it away and sell it still sealed. BUT, I probably wouldn't invest in that anyway. In the US, the stock market is on an historic run. I would put my money there and watch daily for signs of trouble. The bubble may burst soon or not for a couple of years, but I would be ready for it.

Good luck!

Comment

• HowieMorenz7
              HowieMorenz7 commented
              Editing a comment
              Totally agree--I wouldn't touch that volatile hyped up box of cardboard

• woodenstickera
              woodenstickera commented
              Editing a comment
              The number of $100 Lindros cards I see at flea markets for a nickel is astounding.

Sure, just mention marijuana and everybody flocks

Wasn't really thinking of it as a longterm investment opportunity--not sure that cryptocurrency or most weed stocks are great longterm opportunities, though I do agree with Jim that there might well be potential in some of the solid marijuana companies. Was thinking of it more as a one-off gamble--hope to get a big hit or two and sell--just as some are in crypto and/or weed for a gamble and quick profit. The main difference is the fun of opening the cards.

But the question remains, where is this stuff available? Checked eBay and there seems to be nothing but the opportunity to purchase spots in case breaks.

Comment

Just go hit a blackjack table. Tax free!!

Comment

Is that what you do. Jim?

Comment

I go with roulette myself. Always hoping for the big hit.

Comment

Let's just say that me and boredom are not a good combination.
                    I've sat at these local monthly shows and cracked a bunch of wax just cause there is nothing else to do. Fun while you're doing it, then you look down at a pile of usually crap that you don't know what to do with. Extremely rare to come out ahead.
                    I've also been known to sit at a table every now and then. Atleast the times I end up winning, I can put it in my pocket and carry on. Don't have to work to get some money back.

Comment

Working...
                    X