Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favorite 1933 Hockey Set

Hi everyone,

For the sake of discussion, I'd love to know which 1933 hockey set (OPC, Hamilton Gum, Canadian Gum, or Ice Kings) is your favorite, and why. I'm torn between OPC (has the Shore rookie) and the Ice Kings (I can't articulate why, but something in the design really catches my eye). I expect I'll probably attempt to collect one of these sets in the future, and welcome your suggestions as to which one.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Good question! My favorite by far is the OPC set because it is the first in a long line and because of the distinctive “star” background design.

Comment

I haven't ever cared for the Ice Kings or Hamilton Gum sets much. There is something about the design of the Canadian Gum set that I really like, but I collect the OPC set. It has a great design and great selection of players/rookies. Of the 4 sets, I always considered it to the be to best set.

Comment

I love the V252 Canadian Gum set. I like how the red background frames the black and white photographs and the selection of star players is strong. It's also noteworthy to see that these cards simply don't exist in high grade. The idea of some cards having the highest graded copies at PSA 5 is incredible, despite what I am assuming was a national distribution. I guess everyone back in the day just had to redeem those letters.

Comment

My favorite is the 1933 Anonymous set - just kidding! That is one ugly set and I don't find it surprising at all that the OP made no mention of them.

I'm going to have to go with O-Pee-Chee. I love the backgrounds and the Eddie Shore RC. I still find it crazy that Shore was excluded from all the other sets.

Comment

​I think I'd have to go for the OPC set-like Anish-but for different reasons: 1- The 1st OPC set. 2- The four colours of availability for each player!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0876.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	5803

Attached Files

Comment

The 1933 OPC is really nice from my perspective.

Comment

For me it is the Ice Kings, the pictures are much better and seem closer. Although color would have been nice ala Diamond Matches, another fav.

Comment

• strohman
                  strohman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I love the Silver Diamond Matchbooks. For years I thought they were a 1933 set. They might have been listed that way in the annual Beckett, but eventually I found out that they were a 1934 issue. Great player selection! They included pretty much all of the stars from the other sets.
              Working...
              X