X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If there was one thing....

If there was one thing I could change in the hobby for 2018 it would be......overuse of the word "RARE"

What are your thoughts and wishes?

There are MANY things I would like to see changed in our hobby. Here are some of them:

- No one should be allowed to sell counterfeits on eBay or any other online auction house. These cards later get used to scam others.

- No one should be allowed to bid more than 3 times on any one item. I am sick and tired of seeing people bid 20 - 30 times by small increments. Shill bidding or not, but it needs to stop.

- American grading companies need to take more interest in Canadians and our collectibles. Out of the big three, Beckett is the only one that has been doing a decent job over the years with their onsite raw card review service. I am not happy with PSA and SGC. They need to do more.

Comment

• rocket9richard
      rocket9richard commented
      Editing a comment
      I totally agree with the first one.
      The second one makes no sense to me even if I hate the 30 times small incréments. A lot of serious bidders bid more than 3 times on an item.
      The third one, well Beckett is virtually inexistant in vintage hockey cards.

--one thing i wish would change---------on ebay and /or auction houses- -IF THERE IS A RESERVE- TELL PEOPLE WHAT IT IS-or start the item at the reserve -as i dont like bidding-wasting time on auctions that has a stupid reserve price that is never going sell for------

Comment

• rocket9richard
      rocket9richard commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree 100%, only Heritage will post the reserve amount a few days before the end of the auction. Some others will say that a silent reserve may exist or simply don't mention anything...

As far as auction houses go, another great improvement would be that the 10 minutes rule at the end is for individual lots, not for the entire auction. That way it would end earlier and we wouldn't have to wait until 4h00 AM to know if we win a specific lot.

Some auction houses have switched to closing individual lots, I believe Huggins and Scott is one.
    I still don't understand ending an auction on a weekday. You either stay up til 3am or wake up at 3am for some collectibles. I admit that I use to do it but no more of that for me.
    REA has it right going into extended bidding on Saturday afternoon

Comment

<< A lot of serious bidders bid more than 3 times on an item.>>

I disagree. Most serious bidders snipe once at the end. I have been using online auction sites for over 15 years and I don't ever
      recall bidding more than 3 times in a single auction, so why do others need to bid that many times? Either they are shilling or just
      plain retarded.

<<The third one, well Beckett is virtually inexistant in vintage hockey cards.>>

You are correct. When it comes to vintage cards for any sport, Beckett has a small market share. However, we must still
      applaud them for their efforts. They bring their graders to Canada, who then grade onsite while you wait. They may not offer
      encapsulation here, but at least your cards will be given numerical grades. Furthermore, they have worked with Canadian companies,
      such as Grosnor Distribution, to help collectors get their items slabbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck_That View Post

- No one should be allowed to bid more than 3 times on any one item. I am sick and tired of seeing people bid 20 - 30 times by small increments. Shill bidding or not, but it needs to stop.
        I agree with your other two points but this one is just stupid. I am a serious bidder and I will sometimes bid just once, in the dying seconds, and other times will place several bids as the amount I am willing to pay can change with each successive bid I place. Why? Because if the highest proxy is higher than my most recent bid, I may decide a few more dollars is worth it for the card. So I will place another bid. And perhaps another and another. I am certainly not retarded but your comment definitely makes me question your level on that spectrum. Further, as a seller, your idea would hurt the marketplace overall.

Comment

• Billyberu
          Billyberu commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree Gomaz. On rare occasion I do the same. As my time is limited especially with auctions ending all over the place I will typically bid my maximum when I see the auction I like. If by some chance I am around when the auction ends I may make a few bids in succession but not many. I do however see an individual making many bids early on. This bidding also confuses me but I do not care. In the end an item is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay....myself included! If a bidder is bidding up an item then hopefully he ends up with it at a price he was not willing to pay.

Kind of funny to see the differences in the bidding style.
        I have seen so often some bidders (although only a few) making some price discovery with small amount increases.
        When the 1st bidder bid is exposed, he then stop there.
        IMO, it rigs the auction process. Three bids max could be a good way to prevent that.
        Of course the seller won't like it because in some instances, the bidder using this strategy will be blocked unless he uses
        another EBay name.
        Merry Christmas all!

Comment

If there was one thing..........Find all the missing display boxes for Parkhurst ......full of course.......garage sales preferably......$1 each......and of course share all the pictures with the hobby...I am not that selfish. Staying positive on Xmas.
          Last edited by Bobbyvhc; 12-25-2017, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X