• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• daveweir
    started a topic Gretzky OPC RC - KSA vs PSA

Gretzky OPC RC - KSA vs PSA

Hi folks,

Check out the two listings below. I would be curious to get your opinions on why the PSA 8 is currently commanding such a higher price (almost 3x). Is it strictly the reputation of PSA? If so, is this an opportunity for crossover to PSA?

Gretzky OPC KSA 9.5 (Current Price: US $1,051)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-O-Pee-...19.m1438.l2649

Gretzky OPC PSA 8 (Current Price: US $3,050)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-O-Pee-...19.m1438.l2649

Thanks,
    Dave

• sloth55
    commented on 's reply
    just saying ksa 8,8.5,9, 10 are just as good as psa condition wise. ksa 5,6,7 are like psa 3,4,5,6

• harpervalley7
    commented on 's reply
    I don’t think strict should be the standard for a great grading service, I would rather see an accurate and consistent
    Company!

• Jim
    commented on 's reply
    Too late Dave

• Jim
    replied
    It's weird that most stuff in ksa holders is over graded but you can find many under graded gretzky rookies. Just have to watch out for all the sheet cuts

Leave a comment:

• boysblue
    replied
    KSA has gotten much more strict in his grading standards over the past couple of years, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• HowieMorenz7
    commented on 's reply
    PSA makes mistakes too. "I know a guy" is a one off fluke IMO

• sloth55
    replied
    I know of a big dealer in the states that bought a KSA 8.5, cracked it and sent in to PSA and came back a PSA 9. KSA is better than everyone says.

Leave a comment:

• Puck_That
    replied
    I would also take a PSA 8 over a KSA 9.5.

Now the KSA example got purchased by somebody with a large feedback. It could be a big seller who already has a buyer lined up for this card. In other words, he knows he can flip it for profit.

There is also one more thing I would like to add: whoever won it can still examine the card and return it to PWCC if he sees a problem.

Leave a comment:

• hart2004
    replied
    If I had a KSA 9.5, I’d trade it for a PSA 8 in a heartbeat.

Leave a comment:

• daveweir
    replied
    Final price for these cards:

Gretzky OPC KSA 9.5 - US $4288
    Gretzky OPC PSA 8 - US $3,700

Leave a comment:

• Puck_That
    replied
    Originally posted by rocket9richard View Post
    The KSA card is most probably from a sheet that was cut and wouldn't be graded by PSA.
    Did you even bother to look at the KSA card? I see a bit of corner wear on the top left, so I don't think it was cut out from a sheet.

When you see such a high hand big value card in a KSA holder you have to be suspicious

I agree. You shouldn't buy it unless you can examine it in person. You would have to measure it, use magnifier on the corners, edges, etc. However, only an expert will be able to detect restoration (and probably not you).

On the other side the PSA card is a typical rough cut original card as found in the original OPC packs

Not all of the 1979 O-Pee-Chee hockey cards have the rough cut though. I have hundreds of commons lying in front of me right now and some have pretty smooth edges.

Leave a comment:

• daveweir
    replied
    Interesting. I don't know too much about KSA. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• rocket9richard
    replied
    The KSA card is most probably from a sheet that was cut and wouldn't be graded by PSA. When you see such a high hand big value card in a KSA holder you have to be suspicious...
    ​On the other side the PSA card is a typical rough cut original card as found in the original OPC packs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X