Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gretzky OPC RC - KSA vs PSA

Hi folks,

Check out the two listings below. I would be curious to get your opinions on why the PSA 8 is currently commanding such a higher price (almost 3x). Is it strictly the reputation of PSA? If so, is this an opportunity for crossover to PSA?

Gretzky OPC KSA 9.5 (Current Price: US $1,051)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-O-Pee-...19.m1438.l2649

Gretzky OPC PSA 8 (Current Price: US $3,050)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-O-Pee-...19.m1438.l2649

Thanks,
    Dave

The KSA card is most probably from a sheet that was cut and wouldn't be graded by PSA. When you see such a high hand big value card in a KSA holder you have to be suspicious...
    ​On the other side the PSA card is a typical rough cut original card as found in the original OPC packs.

Comment

Interesting. I don't know too much about KSA. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rocket9richard View Post
        The KSA card is most probably from a sheet that was cut and wouldn't be graded by PSA.
        Did you even bother to look at the KSA card? I see a bit of corner wear on the top left, so I don't think it was cut out from a sheet.

When you see such a high hand big value card in a KSA holder you have to be suspicious

I agree. You shouldn't buy it unless you can examine it in person. You would have to measure it, use magnifier on the corners, edges, etc. However, only an expert will be able to detect restoration (and probably not you).

On the other side the PSA card is a typical rough cut original card as found in the original OPC packs

Not all of the 1979 O-Pee-Chee hockey cards have the rough cut though. I have hundreds of commons lying in front of me right now and some have pretty smooth edges.

Comment

Final price for these cards:

Gretzky OPC KSA 9.5 - US $4288
          Gretzky OPC PSA 8 - US $3,700

Comment

If I had a KSA 9.5, I’d trade it for a PSA 8 in a heartbeat.

Comment

I would also take a PSA 8 over a KSA 9.5.

Now the KSA example got purchased by somebody with a large feedback. It could be a big seller who already has a buyer lined up for this card. In other words, he knows he can flip it for profit.

There is also one more thing I would like to add: whoever won it can still examine the card and return it to PWCC if he sees a problem.

Comment

Working...
              X