X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay to start collecting sales tax on fees July 1, 2017:

So Canadian residents who sell on eBay will have to start paying sales tax - [BEEP] me dead! Doing this will only make Canadian sellers want to complete more of their transactions OUTSIDE of eBay! So what do all of you Canadians on here think? So do we all have to pass on these fees to our buyers? Here is the news below:
    **Reminder**
    As announced in our Summer Update, eBay Canada Limited will become the contracting party for Canadian residents and businesses on July 1st, 2017. As a Canadian corporation, eBay Canada Limited is subject to Canadian tax law and will be required to charge sales tax (GST/HST/QST) on eBay fees.
    The applicable sales tax will be determined based on your registered eBay address and taxes payable will be detailed in your monthly invoice.
    **Note** Your July invoice may include fees for services provided prior to July 1, 2017. These will be billed on behalf of eBay International AG and will not include GST/HST/QST.
    For more information, see our 2017 Summer Seller Update.
    As always, thank you for selling on eBay!

Oh, and let's not forget the GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM as well! On top of that, they got rid of the EBAY BUCKS program in Canada (Americans are still using it!) What's next for Canadians who use eBay?

Comment

The ebay bucks thing really chaps my a#$. Bucks are earned from seller fees too. Definitely not an even playing field

Comment

- go get a usa address mailbox and register under that usa address may help

Comment

Thanks for the posts, guys. Yes, it's DEFINITELY not an even playing field. Here is a really bad one: Canadians are expected to pay duties and taxes on anything $20+ they import into the country by mail. That's right, TWENTY DOLLARS CDN! Americans, meanwhile, can import items up to $800 USD by mail and not have to worry about getting taxed. It's a freaking joke, man! Running a small business in Canada is not easy. If you can make a little profit, then consider yourself lucky.

Oh, and in the future we will probably receive an email like this from eBay:

**Reminder**
          As announced in our Winter Update, eBay Canada Ltd. will be expected to follow the new Canadian law which taxes an additional 18% on the sellers who deal in Sports Cards and Memorabilia. Furthermore, an additional 10% will be charged to your eBay account if you sell super star players. The following can be defined as super star players:

- Georges Vezina
          - Fred Taylor
          - Newsy Lalonde
          - Art Ross
          - Howie Morenz
          - Eddie Shore
          - King Clancy
          - Auriel Joliet
          - Charlie Conacher
          - Gordie Howe
          - Maurice Richard
          - Jean Beliveau
          - Terry Sawchuk
          - Jacques Plante
          - Henri Richard
          - Frank Mahovlich
          - Stan Mikita
          - Bobby Hull
          - Phil Esposito
          - Bobby Orr
          - Ken Dryden
          - Guy Lafleur
          - Marcel Dionne
          - Bobby Clarke
          - Darryl Sittler
          - Mario Lemiex
          - Wayne Gretzky
          - Patrick Roy
          - Sidney Crosby

Sales tax will also be charged on eBay fees.

Thank you so much for using eBay!

Comment

Here something else! I just receive a Lacrosse card from the US. I payed 110$ CND... For the first time ever they charge me taxes on a card... I'm fine with taxes but the handing cost, no way! the concept of the post is to move stuff around and I already payed for it for the start!

Comment

Send everything to PreWarCC

Comment

Jeezus guys, it is simply eBay following the Canadian tax law. Not their "choice". If you are a legit business you will claim it back. If not, suck it up muffin.

Comment

• topnotchcollectible.com
                  Editing a comment
                  mine was more for the shipping aspect of dicussion-easier to ship and receive when you have a usa address and make trip every couple weeks to pick up-or ship- rules are same for any business in canada-as this for ebay- ----- same as im sure- the next time someone buys a card in person at a card show and the sellers adds 13% to sticker/dickered price- thats fine too

For the past 2-3 years, I decided to keep my purchases on eBay to the minimum. I only buy items that i can't find anywhere else.
                If I can contact the seller directly, I do it. If I can find a similar piece from my contacts or at a show, I do it.
                ​I also notice that for the type of items I collect, the quantity and quality is going down on eBay...

Comment

Only two things in life are certain-: death and taxes. Welcome to Canada. Please don't drink and drive and watch for moose on the road.

Comment

What's the reasoning behind charging a surcharge if you are dealing in superstar players?

Comment

Originally posted by strohman View Post
                      What's the reasoning behind charging a surcharge if you are dealing in superstar players?

You can ask the CRA that if they start doing it (and they probably will).

Comment

Got my first invoice with the added tax, YUK . The $8.54 keep in mind was just the mid way point of July so the upcoming months will be more.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	4967

Comment

Working...
                        X