X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess the Grade

Not Hockey - But Vintage and an iconic player, so I'm hoping that we can make an exception: I just received this beautiful card back from PSA. It received a numerical grade. Can anyone guess it?

The imperfections on the back are from my scanner, and not on the card itself.

For Puck_That, the answer is not a KSA 10, so don't bother with that guess.

Click image for larger version

Name:	img045.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	4827

Name:	img046.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	4828
    Attached Files

I say an 8

Comment

I'll save my guess until I look at it on my desktop. Great looking card.
      I'm thinking you did very well Jeff.

Comment

Impressive looking card! I would say either a 7 or 8. I'm curious and hope you don't come back and say a 4!

Comment

Originally posted by AANVJeff View Post

For Puck_That, the answer is not a KSA 10, so don't bother with that guess.

Attachment

Attachment
          What about KSA 11?

The scans are too blurry, so it's hard to tell. I do see some white spots on the reverse side and since I never owned any cards from this particular issue, I am not sure if this is considered normal or not.

Comment

Without further ado, here is the moment that we've all been waiting for!

I'd like to thank Joe Orlando, Reza Tabatabai, and the person who processed my $22 grading fee for making all of my collecting dreams come true!

Name:	rsz_img045.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	4830

Comment

OMG. WTH. Post better scans so we can see why please

Comment

Pin Hole?

Comment

No pinhole. I used a loupe on the entire card and found nothing.

Comment

I suggest you ask for an explaination on this. There has to be a major defect that we can't see to justify this grade. Even a crease would not make it that low!
                    ​My guess but I can't see on the scans is the card has waves from water damage, or maybe glue was removed with chemicals... In other words a card that was doctored, but it's just an opinion or a feeling.

Comment

• prewar_collector
                      prewar_collector commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If glue was removed or card doctored the grade will be authentic altered

• rocket9richard
                      rocket9richard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've owned and seen numerous cards graded that were soaked in water or removed from scapbooks and glued removed with chemicals.
                      I had a wavy Orr RC that graded KSA8 and later cracked and graded PSA 3. Since it was not altered or modified in any way, it's normal it got a grade, but it was obvious that the card was put in water for a while! The card looked new but was probably in a sticky photo album before but not glued to it.
                      I have seen so many 51 Park removed from album with the glue removed and they where graded. They are not rare at all!

Originally posted by rocket9richard View Post
                    I suggest you ask for an explaination on this. There has to be a major defect that we can't see to justify this grade. Even a crease would not make it that low!
                    ​My guess but I can't see on the scans is the card has waves from water damage, or maybe glue was removed with chemicals... In other words a card that was doctored, but it's just an opinion or a feeling.
                    I am no expert in professional grading but a wavy card or water staining will not garner a PR 1. Also I would expect that the card would come back as altered and not encapsulated by PSA if there was evidence that it was doctored.

I would say maybe an error on their part? Nothing else makes sense. Just me two cents!

Comment

The exact same card in the same grade. It's difficult to tell the two apart. Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	4831

Comment

I think they forgot a zero after your grade of 1 and spelled GEM MINT incorrectly!!

Comment

I submitted this card with the expectation that it would be an 8 with an outside shot at an 8.5. I'm going to take it to The National so that I can speak with Joe Orlando about this issue. I hope that it is just a keystroke error in entering the grade into the system. There was a thread on the Collectors Universe forum where PSA gave a PSA 10 to a 1956 Willie Mays card that was obviously in the 3-4 range, so that type of error certainly can happen. That's the only explanation that I can come up with. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised to see the result when the grade popped.

Comment

Quite a shocker especially when you compare with the other PSA 1!
                            Hope thing will turn out well for you when you regrade. Let us know what PSA says.

Comment

Working...
                            X