Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should one day replace Don Cherry on Coaches Corner ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who should one day replace Don Cherry on Coaches Corner ?

Love him or hate him, Don Cherry is a Canadian icon. I personally love the guy, but I also realize that he's in his 80's, and one day will have to call it a day on Coaches Corner. So the question is, who is going to replace him ? I guess the three criteria a candidate would need is 1 - A former coach 2- lives near where they tape 3- perhaps played in the NHL, but not that important. My first choice would be Wayne Gretzky. He was a player and coach, and is well spoken about the game. Only problem is that I don't think he lives near the studio. My other choices have passed away. Pat Quinn or Pat Burns. Both were well spoken, and were made out of the Cherry mold. So who do you guys think should one day replace Don ?

Interesting question. Gretzky would not be on my list. On camera personality is not his strong point.

Comment

Mike Keenan or Doug MacLean!

Comment

John Tortorella

Comment

Gretzky is way too PC, and vanilla.

For several years we have heard that Kelly Hrudey would be the heir. Cerebral, well liked, and his takes are typically interesting. He also comes across as an every day type of guy, which has been Cherry's schtick since he's been on the air with Dave Hodge.

jb217676, I think your idea of Doug MacLean is a good one. Hadn't thought of him in this capacity before. He is certainly entertaining, with great personality and a sense of humor.

Comment

C'mon guys, the answer is obvious: Puck_That!

Comment

If you want to go with an American Jeremy Roenick would be great!

Comment

My favorite personality is Ray Ferrero. Very knowledgeable and presents the facts. Not sure if he is brash and opinionated enough for this role, but hey...roles evolve.

Comment

Originally posted by jb217676 View Post
                  If you want to go with an American Jeremy Roenick would be great!
                  Don Cherry's American pick may be Mike Milbury. Played for the Bruins. Coached the Islanders. And even climbed into the stands of MSG and beat a fan with a shoe while playing for the Bruins. Seriously though, I don't think these guys would move to Ontario, as their families are established here in the states.

Comment

Grapes is irreplaceable. It would be a mistake for HNIC to keep Coach's Corner going.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Milbury. That being said I didn't like him as a player and enjoy him even less as an on air personality.

Comment

Originally posted by fhennessy15 View Post
                        I wouldn't be surprised if it was Milbury. That being said I didn't like him as a player and enjoy him even less as an on air personality.
                        As an Islanders fan I liked him even less as a GM.

Comment

Simple, NO ONE
                          Don Cherry is one of a kind and no one will replace him.
                          CBC will come up with another type of show after the first period.

Comment

Working...
                          X