• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who wins the Calder Trophy?

and why ........

A few to choose from:

Mitch Marner, P
    avel Zacha, Jesse Puljujarvi, Sebastian Aho, Dylan Strome, Ivan Provorov, Mikko Rantanen, Zach Werenski, Auston Matthews, Kyle Connor, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Patrik Laine, William Nylander, Pierre Luc-Dubois, Ryan Pulock. Other ??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calder_Memorial_Trophy

As a Jets fan, I don't think Connor will get the opportunity to put up big numbers yet. He will at best get 3rd line minutes. Laine is another matter though - likely second line with Little and Stafford.

Comment

• J60
      J60 commented
      Editing a comment
      How these players adapt to the NHL is really the unknown. case in point > Jeff Skinner's rookie year.
      The Toronto guys will get the press, but the points ???. Laine has all the tools to succeed. I think he'll be the guy to beat.
      Last edited by J60; 09-26-2016, 01:11 PM.

We've got a Calder race after all eh ..... the Toronto media sucks !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	laine.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	3671

Comment

• Puck_That
      Puck_That commented
      Editing a comment
      I missed last night's game - ugghh!!

I'm the world's biggest Jets fan. I passed out on the couch in the first period last night. Today my students talked non-stop about the game last night. I can't figure out whether I should be thrilled at Laine's huge night or crushed that I missed it - the first Jets game I've missed since they returned five years ago. This feels tragic hehe.

Comment

Oh man, I just watched the highlights now. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR6jufkF07I

I didn't know the Leafs blew a 4 - 1 lead in the 3rd period. Also, go to 1:56 of the video - OUCH!!!!

Comment

My vote right now would go to Zach Werenski, mainly because I think it's tougher in today's NHL to step in as a dman and put up the numbers and +/- he is. The kid looks poised and confident and really doesn't look like a rookie in this league.

Comment

Front Runners right now Matthews, Laine, and Werenski IMO....Matthews probably takes it...depending how long Laine is out with his concussion. with Laine and Matthews doing so well, I just don't feel they will give it to Werenski, not after giving it to Ekblad either.

I hope Laine comes back and takes the NHL by storm and wins the Calder, but somehow, in the back of my mind I just see Matthews taking this one.

Comment

Agreed. Werensk has slowed down too.

Comment

Mathews, because he is the best all around rookie hands down
              Last edited by Original-6; 01-29-2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Mitch Marner.

Comment

Its tough because of how many rookies are doing so well this year (especially the Leaf rookies).
                  I am very biased here, but my vote is Matt Murray. Sure he's playing in front of a good team (although the D has always been suspect), but he has had solid numbers compared to any goalie in the league, much less rookie goalies. Likely won't win unless he takes them on another cup run this year due to the strength of this years rookie class however. Definitely should be there in the conversation.

Comment

Working...
                  X